Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302286 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #300 on: 10 November 2016, 23:12 »
That's the point, you don't differentiate it, it goes under the radar. :wink:
One of the ways to spot a performance Golf was the front lights or the rear exhausts.

From the FL GTI photos, it looks like the exhausts are likely to be similar i.e. GTI 1+1, R 2+2 and GTD 2 on left.

However, it looks like lots of models are getting the LED update. So the only way to tell a performance Golf will be from the front badge. So the performance models will blend in with all the other models. Maybe that is a good thing. When someone looks in their rear view mirror it is going to be nearly impossible to tell if it's a performance Golf.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2016, 23:16 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline GTD22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #301 on: 10 November 2016, 23:23 »
I like the rear light clusters and pulsating indicators, the wireless charging function and the fact the radar is now in the VW badge, but am not sold on the rest of it.  The active dash/media display doesn't do much for me at all and I much prefer the current U shaped front lights. 

For me the whole look is too Audi-esque. If I want that I'd get an Audi. Yes, they are all VAG, but still up to now distinct in their own right, but judging by this facelift pretty soon they are going to look indistinguishable.

Couldn't agree more with all of that.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #302 on: 10 November 2016, 23:26 »
One of the ways to spot a performance Golf was the front lights or the rear exhausts.

From the FL GTI photos, it looks like the exhausts are likely to be similar i.e. GTI 1+1, R 2+2 and GTD 2 on left.

However, it looks like lots of models are getting the LED update. So the only way to tell a performance Golf will be from the front badge. So the performance models will blend in with all the other models. Maybe that is a good thing. When someone looks in their rear view mirror it is going to be nearly impossible to tell if it's a performance Golf.

LED rears have been standard in most Golf's barring the entry level version for a while now here in Ireland. I suspect entry level cars will still have halogens though? The new LED's effectively replacing today's xenons on models that have them.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2016, 23:28 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #303 on: 11 November 2016, 08:05 »

It's almost impossible to tell performance anything to the uninitiated these days. Pretty much everything has front fogs and 2 pipes these days for styling rather than a need. A colleague has a new Mazda 3 - it's only 120ps but has GTI style pipes. Front fogs are pretty useless for seeing what's ahead of you anyway and the amount of times i've had the conditions to legally put front fogs on in the last 5 years, I can count on one hand.

20 years ago having front fogs almost certainly meant you were driving something sporty, but not now. Ironically now, the sportiest cars have big air intakes and no room for front fogs.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #304 on: 11 November 2016, 11:15 »
Front fogs are so yesterday.... it's all about dazzling LED DRL's now  :smiley:

Audi don't even fit front fogs to cars that have the LED headlights fitted.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #305 on: 11 November 2016, 12:24 »
The fact the GTD was not mentioned - does this mean it will remain the same spec as the current model?

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #306 on: 11 November 2016, 12:50 »
The front and rear lights on the GTI are a huge improvement and look much better to me than the current ones. Makes you wonder how they are going to differentiate the R at the front

https://youtu.be/aq2eCk9jLFg

Hopefully the facelift R won't go under the radar. Top end hatchback with 300 plus ponies should look more aggressive than it currently does. Let's face it, the cat is well and truly out out the bag, most car enthusiasts will be able to tell the difference between the GTI/R by now even if they don't own one. So may as well make its looks match its performance and not be so meh

I actually think the current R looks pretty aggressive in the flesh, it was a pleasant surprise to me when I finally got mine that it did so.  It doesn't translate quite so in photos and it lacks some of the presence of the mk6 R, but I like the balance it strikes between under the radar and showing intent.  Time will tell what the FL R will be but I hope it's not too in your face.

Agree with this, has far more presence than thought it had and having had the pleasure going side by side with my cars double last Friday, where we exchanged sport sounds  :cool: can testify them sweet notes are more than noticeable even from a sealed cabin, so even if not notice its a performance Golf you soon realise when moves up beside you.

But its wider and lowered stance with Pretoria, 4 exhausts, twin U DRL and in my case signature Lapiz for me shows plenty but suitably subtle enough intent.

Actually like the new DRL on the GTI as think the red stripe never really tied in with the lights as well as should, but the angular nature is definitely more aligned to other brands and if have the integrated tailpipes more so IE: Mercedes.

Having digested everything yesterday about the only item that thought maybe would like is the sweeping indicators but then you are very much open to being mistaken for an Audi, and personalty like the differentiation, so it was not even them in the end.

If the R goes down the angular twin DRL it will look like a GTI coming at you, so again more reason to be happy with the U shaped DRL, more signature R than ever.

Now seen the new vents, like the existing R vents more,

Think the biggest gamechanger would be the Cadiz are binned for better standard wheels,

But we shall see, but very happy have mine now, and by time mine is up for change the MK 8 will be at least a year in production, so can make a choice whether to change, or if really do not like direction gone, maybe just keep this one as might be the most desired then, and it does all I want a car to do now, and more really, and that not going to change and with only 21k on clock likely
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #307 on: 11 November 2016, 13:14 »
^^

Perfectly summed up on every point.  :smiley:

Totally agree with you about the GTI red stripe, much better on the facelift. It was the single thing that put the nail in the coffin of me getting one.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #308 on: 11 November 2016, 13:40 »
^^

Perfectly summed up on every point.  :smiley:

Totally agree with you about the GTI red stripe, much better on the facelift. It was the single thing that put the nail in the coffin of me getting one.

By moving to twin DRL for the GTI they have instantly lost differentiation with the R and not sure how they recover that? as you see the twin DRL coming miles off

The worst case scenario is R stays as twin DRL and they put a blue stripe in it no matter the body colour, can you imagine?

Agree on the stripe, but maybe would have succumbed, so it was the AWD which was the biggest driving force for heading me away from the GTI

Back to taking pull away for granted as can just pull away no matter the condition, so its quite inert, you do not feel you have been given a superpower haha, but my daily junction where have to be decisive and just go, has far less trepidation now.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2016, 13:49 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #309 on: 11 November 2016, 13:55 »
No R (or GTD) for the immediate future, so who knows what they might do next :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC