Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302284 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #280 on: 10 November 2016, 13:58 »
Looks like this might be based on fact:

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-golf-vii-facelift-2016-5-tuerer-variant-gti-infos-preis-5519781.html

Optional digital dash, optional gesture control, optional LED lights...

There are some photos on that page of the new exterior... gone are the round tailpipes and in are the trendy funny shaped vent holes

Ok, do I win a prize?

It had to be like this, this is trickle down tech from both the Passat and other VAG brands. This is how you maximise your investment if you are VAG.

Even the trailer parking thing is a Passat thing (which btw is just a plug in Bosch module available to any OEM).

I wonder if we will ever see the GTD though. Even though its a big seller for VW, I wonder if the rep is too bad. Then again the TopGear article suggests that the 1.6 TDI will be the big seller...

In the UK, the big thing that will shape future GTD uptake is the chancellor's autumn statement in 2 weeks time.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #281 on: 10 November 2016, 14:08 »
I wouldn't read much into the little details of what you see in those pics. Many of them are clearly artist renderings and a mish mash of different models. The interior pic of the GTI there has a normal Golf's gear knob. Some of the pics show an ACC sensor. Others don't. On that note, it'd have been nice if they moved the ACC sensor behind the badge, ala the Passat.

They have moved the ACC sensor behind the badge in the upper grille Joe; see the info at the link, also posted by Meirk in this thread;

https://volkswagen-presskit.com/en/start/das-design-im-detail
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Fabio Bignose

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #282 on: 10 November 2016, 15:10 »
Isnt a large part of a facelift the potential resolution of initial teething problems from the introduction of an all new model?

Things like rattles, creakes and common faults being rectified etc...

Lets hope so as these are the little things that have really challenged my whole ownership experience this time around.

I had nowhere near as many problems with my MK6 which itself was a facelift.

This could all be a coincidence obviously and it wont stop me potentially ordering a new one.!

Good news re the ACC sensor being moved and the rear lights look very cool.!  :cool:
« Last Edit: 10 November 2016, 15:12 by Fabio Bignose »
Mk7.5 GTD. DCC, Keyless, Dynaudio, Tech pack, Alarm, Isaac Blue
Mk7 GTD. Xenons, 18", Climate Control, Keyless, Alarm, ( all optional in Ireland...! ) Dynaudio, DCC,
CSG.
Mk6 GTD. Alarm, CSG.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #283 on: 10 November 2016, 15:23 »
Hmmm every facelift I've ever had tended to be manufacturer cost savings more than anything else.

Subtle things that don't make the press release get deleted - things like covers on 12v sockets, rear air vents etc etc Probably saves them about 20 quid per car but annoys the hell out of you when you can spot the differences.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #284 on: 10 November 2016, 15:29 »
How about this article then:

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/2017-vw-golf-mk7-facelift-old-vs-new-compared

the GTI hot hatch has been tweaked to offer 227hp as standard and 242hp in upgraded Performance trim. The old model produced a slightly more modest 220hp. Other models such as the GTD, GTE hybrid and Golf R will retain the same mechanical underpinnings as the existing models.

So not bi-turbo AWD GTD and not even 1 extra pony for the R. Not sure if that also means no 7 speed DSG too, but the 7 speed DSG is a "gradual" upgrade for the Golf according to VW. Quite wtf that means is anyone's guess but I suspect certain engines will be compatible - eg the new 1.5 petrol.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #285 on: 10 November 2016, 15:46 »
How about this article then:

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/2017-vw-golf-mk7-facelift-old-vs-new-compared

the GTI hot hatch has been tweaked to offer 227hp as standard and 242hp in upgraded Performance trim. The old model produced a slightly more modest 220hp. Other models such as the GTD, GTE hybrid and Golf R will retain the same mechanical underpinnings as the existing models.

So not bi-turbo AWD GTD and not even 1 extra pony for the R. Not sure if that also means no 7 speed DSG too, but the 7 speed DSG is a "gradual" upgrade for the Golf according to VW. Quite wtf that means is anyone's guess but I suspect certain engines will be compatible - eg the new 1.5 petrol.

Some articles are reporting 400bhp plus for the R so let's wait and see

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #286 on: 10 November 2016, 17:00 »
I doubt the R will ever have more than the S3 so 400hp is pie in the sky I think. Also do folks realise you probably won't be able to even order these until April so deliveries won't be until July/August.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #287 on: 10 November 2016, 17:11 »
I doubt the R will ever have more than the S3 so 400hp is pie in the sky I think. Also do folks realise you probably won't be able to even order these until April so deliveries won't be until July/August.

It would put the R up against the RS3 and with even more economy knock (such as sub 20's) would likely take the R out of the range of most folk other than those who really do not give that a thought. Many more care about keeping that balance than do than do not though which includes me.

Increased emissions also affect company drivers though the R is not the main company drive admittedly.

More likely the 310 or at a push 340 BHP
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #288 on: 10 November 2016, 17:40 »
400 bhp is not going to happen. Pie in the sky /  "I read it in AutoExpress so it must be true" stuff.

The current S3 is more than a big clue. A very slight power hike - ~315bhp and the 7speed DSG.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline GTD22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #289 on: 10 November 2016, 17:44 »
400 bhp is not going to happen. Pie in the sky /  "I read it in AutoExpress so it must be true" stuff.

The current S3 is more than a big clue. A very slight power hike - ~315bhp and the 7speed DSG.

What do you mean? Are you saying that auto express are not always spot on? :laugh: