Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302278 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #170 on: 15 October 2016, 15:56 »
Found this German update.

Although the review is in German if you go halfway down there's a video of the car in a few models variants they believe is the new facelift.
Fairly sure those are just renders of the exterior and not the real facelift.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #171 on: 16 October 2016, 08:21 »
Think there has been talk of the 3 door shell no longer being available at some point. Am wondering whether this will continue or not with the facelift.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #172 on: 16 October 2016, 10:10 »
I think probably the 3 door will survive the facelift but won't make it to a Mk8.

It wouldn't make much sense to bin it now.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #173 on: 16 October 2016, 12:03 »
Is it a facelift or going to be called the Mk8?
2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #174 on: 16 October 2016, 13:31 »

The press release on the previous page called it an extensive/major update. It just waffles about the history and does not mention what the updates are. No mention of a Mk8.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #175 on: 16 October 2016, 13:57 »

The press release on the previous page called it an extensive/major update. It just waffles about the history and does not mention what the updates are. No mention of a Mk8.

It's quite hard to guess exactly how far VW are going to go this time isn't it.

In 2008/9 the Leon and A3 (and Octavia too) got a light makeover but the mk5 Golf got such a hefty makeover it became the mk6.
Being as the Golf is bread and butter to the VW group it has to be kept fresh and ahead of the competition.
If they do go for a full on makeover and call it a mk8 due to lots of added tech then it's quite possible the 3 door will be dropped, especially if there's a new MQB Scirocco in the wings for 2018. The Focus, Civic and A class are 5 door only, hardly anyone buys a 1 series 3 door and when's the last time you saw an Astra 3 door?
The underpinnings of the Leon SC could easily be moulded into a Scirocco with a less fat arse and slightly more rear passenger space (which is the whole point of the MQB production flexibility).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #176 on: 16 October 2016, 14:44 »
If the facelift actually materialised as the MK8 how would that affect the residuals of the Golf MK7's bought this year prior to the press release?  I bought my Golf R in the knowledge the Mk8 performance golfs may not be around for another 3 years +/- (going on previous release dates etc,). 

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #177 on: 16 October 2016, 16:41 »
Well all hate it, prefer the Mk7, then slowly swap over .... as we always do!
2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #178 on: 16 October 2016, 22:29 »
If the facelift actually materialised as the MK8 how would that affect the residuals of the Golf MK7's bought this year prior to the press release?  I bought my Golf R in the knowledge the Mk8 performance golfs may not be around for another 3 years +/- (going on previous release dates etc,).

Well, it was a reasonable assumption to have made, however the VW scandal thing is something they need to correct and correct fast. They need shiny new product to make people forget about that naughtiness.

That is probably why we are seeing a facelift golf for the first time ever.

Whether it is a Mk8 or a Mk7bis it will mean that any Mk7 will be worth less than if they hadn't done either. People always want the latest thing and even if the people don't, the dealers will tell you its old hat.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #179 on: 17 October 2016, 09:15 »
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/10/15/What-Should-We-Expect-From-The-Upcoming-Volkswagen-Golf-Update-7735934/
"... the fact Volkswagen is referring to this update as a "major" and "extensive"... implies something more comprehensive is in the works here."

... but we just don't know. We can only speculate. My theory is: This will be a facelift. So that the Mk8 can be released early for the 2020 EU7(?) emissions changes. If they release a Mk8 now - when would the next car be due? It is only weeks until we will know for sure.