Author Topic: Mew - A reg mk2 project  (Read 39793 times)

Offline Mew

• I live here
Re: Mew - A reg mk2 project
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2008, 16:53 »
Well, my front subframe is shagged so i'll have to stick a replacement one on. As far as i'm aware, the easiest way is to remove the engine, so i'll do it that way. However, i won't put the same engine back in  :wink:

5 days from now i hope to have 8 more valves and an mot  :undecided:

Oh pics up as soon as i work out why i can see the pics on the camera screen but not on the pc when the camera is connected via usb!

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2008, 21:14 »
Just finished pretty much 10 hours work on the car.

I have managed to get the engine out as well as the subframe. I was kacking it about the captive nuts for the subframe shearing and luckily they didn't  :smiley:

Tomorrow i should be going up to Oxford to pick up the engine and wiring loom, exhaust, hopefully a tsr manifold and whatever else i realise i will need when i get there. As long as i get back in time, i plan to have the new subframe in with the steering rack and wishbones bolted up. If i manage to get the wiring loom in then i will be very pleased.

So, by the end of monday i will hopefully have the wiring done and the engine bolted in.  Tuesday will probably be spent going to gsf and getting anything that i find needs replacing over the next couple of days and wednesday i'll have to get a hole in the driver's footwell patched up. With any luck i can also get an mot the same day.

Pics still aren't being co-operative  :angry:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2008, 01:16 »
I'll do a proper write-up in the near future, but for now here are some pics in chronological order

Before

Old top mounts:

During:

Whilst i was down there: (subframe corrosion where the front wishbone mount is)

Too far  :sad:

Close up

Rears

Job done (still need to raise front and lower rear)

Hmmmm, negative

So that was friday morning/early afternoon.

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2008, 01:27 »
Forgot to take any pics between the last one and this

All i've done is removed the slam panel, lower valance, battery and radiator

Wiring removed from engine

Engine loom

More of the rust (same patch)

Going

Going

Gone

]

I then poked a little rust harder than i should have done

On the floor

Couldn't do anything else so thought i'd tackle this lot

Master cylinder out

Undo these

Lots of leaves

Servo out

Unplugged some of the loom from the fusebox

Pretty much how i finished today

Off to get an engine and crane in the morning, really can't be arsed  :sad:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2008, 18:00 »
Cars annoy me   :angry:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 15 September 2008, 10:33 »
Parts ordered, now we play the waiting game! Right, i'm off to Pompey to sort out what i can until AVS deliver the goods.....

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 15 September 2008, 16:08 »
Subframe being stripped, blasted and coated as i type, should be ready tomorrow evening/wednesday morning, parts have been dispatched by AVS, and the weather is gorgeous with a barely a cloud in the sky.

The optimistic part of me thinks this may just happen, the pessimistic side is thinking it's all going a little too well for my liking!

Edit: Just read an email from AVS saying that the parts are being sent overnight so i'll have them by tomorrow. Jurassic Park!!!
« Last Edit: 15 September 2008, 16:30 by Mew »

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 15 September 2008, 20:56 »
8v wiring removed and 16v wiring in place along with the ecu. I haven't completely sorting out the wiring at the fusebox end as it got a bit dark. I think i'l probably leave that now until the engine is in place and wired up.

Tomorrow will consist of:
Fitting my 8v gearbox to the 16v lump and all that is involved with that
Fitting the new track rod ends to the PAS rack
Fiingt the PAS pump and gubbins to the 16v lump
Removing the exhaust that is still hanging from the car
Hopefully collecting the subframe and building it up with the new wishbones, rack etc

I still need to go to GSF at some point to buy an exhaust gasket, possibly some new studs for the manifold and i also have a feeling i have left my brand new rear engine mount in Oxford, which wasn't very clever :rolleyes: I really can't afford another £45 on a 16v one :cry:

Oh, if you're expecting pics in the next few days then you'll be dissapointed! I forgot my phone cable and the pc doesn't have a bluetooth dongle

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 16 September 2008, 13:10 »
Not a very productive morning unfortunately. I split the old 8v engine and gearbox, only to find that the friction disc was coated in oil. How the hell it wasn't slipping i don't know! So now i'm going to be using the 16v box, only i need to use the 8v drive shafts and hubs, the problem being that the driveshafts didn't want to leave the box. As a result, i haven't got very far.

On the plus side, my box of bits turned up at 10:30.

Revised list for the rest of the day is:

Remove drive shafts from 16v box
Fit original drive shafts to 16v box
Fit PAS pump to 16v engine
Fit 16v box to 16v engine
Remove exhaust from car
Hopefully collect my subframe and build that up tonight, ready to go in tomorrow

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 16 September 2008, 17:14 »
Getting annoyed now...........