Author Topic: Reverse cam glitchy  (Read 1200 times)

Offline fin45cs

• Not said much yet
Reverse cam glitchy
« on: 26 October 2023, 19:52 »
Apologies if this has been covered already... But noticed the picture from the rear cam has started to flicker and then go blank!
Has anybody had same/similar, if so what was the fix. Before i get in touch with dealer?

Cheers

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Reverse cam glitchy
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2023, 04:56 »
I had this, it was 100% resolved with a cam controller software update, and had been perfect ever since, BUT! I had a small/minor software update OTA yesterday, and I noticed the cam flickering again just afterwards, I’ll check again today properly, but the minor ‘bug fix’ update appears to have broken it again!!😡
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2023, 08:55 »
On our Cupra Born (likely very similar hardware, no flip up camera under the badge), and the camera failed, its getting replaced under warranty next week.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2023, 10:03 »
A quick internet search and there are other VW and VAG instances of reversing camera and blank screen image. I’ve also read of a few on vwroc.com forum. Sorry, can’t remember if a fix was discussed and if so, what the fix was (I suspect it would be either a software update or replacement reversing camera - or both).

Worth doing a search on ‘mk8 golf reversing camera flicker and blank screen’ or similar search.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2023, 10:13 »
On our Cupra Born (likely very similar hardware, no flip up camera under the badge), and the camera failed, its getting replaced under warranty next week.

What's the verdict on the born? What model is it whats range like etc?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2023, 19:05 »
I had this, it was 100% resolved with a cam controller software update, and had been perfect ever since, BUT! I had a small/minor software update OTA yesterday, and I noticed the cam flickering again just afterwards, I’ll check again today properly, but the minor ‘bug fix’ update appears to have broken it again!!😡

I may have imagined the flicker having come back, having used the car a fair bit today, I haven’t had it play up at all, I was quite tired when I thought it did it again, seems to still be fine since the cam controller software update, this was resolved with a second update, as the first update I had didn’t resolve it, the service manager at the dealership told me that the later update was released the day after I had the first update done, for clarity, the cam software is separate to the 1899/1941 etc system update.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2023, 20:46 »
Quote from: monkeyhanger ⁷link=topic=289819.msg2662781#msg2662781 date=1698393344

What's the verdict on the born? What model is it whats range like etc?

The Born would be all the car you'd ever want if it had twice the range and a bit more power. Size of a Golf (a bit taller) on the outside, size of a Passat on the inside (except boot). Instant acceleration, plenty of toys, sporty interior, comfy ride, tiny turning circle, a nimbleness tgat belies it's 1.8 tonnes kerb weight.

Range is reasonable (away from the motorway) in the Summer and crap in the Winter (battery warming and ventilation heating requirements). Defrosting tge car remotely in the Winter is great.

Range around the doors in the Summer can be as good as 250 miles on a charge. Motorway miles:-

190 miles @75mph indicated I'm the height of Summer 100% to 10%.

150 miles @ 75mph indicated in Winter with no cabin heating, just heated seats and steering wheel, 100% to 10%.

130 miles @75mph indicated in Winter and low/moderate cabin heating, 100% to 10%.

When you stay within range to charge at home, a BEV can be great and cheap to run. Driving further than the range is just crap - expensive chargers you are quite likely to be queuing at to even get on, then a 40 minute wait thereafter to fill back up. Given crap Winter efficiencies, using rapid chargers can cist you up to 25p per mile to fuel your car. We used to have 2 Borns when Iwas very rarely doing long miles and there were fewer BEVs on the Road vying for the rapids, one of them got swapped for an S3 when I had to start doing a 480 mile round trip once a month.

The Born is a V2 (well equipped, 19" wheels) with the 231ps "E-Boost" motor and 58kWh battery. The 77kWh battery offers about 50 miles more Summer range, but is a smidge slower on the acceleration and handling suffers a little for extra weight, you also lose the middle back seat. Great second car, crap primary car - only if you have the facility to charge at home. Wouldn't touch a BEV with a bargepole while we have a choice, if I couldn't charge at home (flat, terraced house etc. with no driveway).
« Last Edit: 29 October 2023, 20:52 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.