Author Topic: Advice needed - mk7.5 or 8.5?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Advice needed - mk7.5 or 8.5?
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2023, 09:16 »
Evo1986 and Fred make good point on waiting times but there is always the old adage….Good things come to those who wait😂😂

Not always... Read the rest of this board!
Good point, but surely they can’t screw up the 8.5 too

I wouldn’t count on that being the case. And if they do screw it up, based on VW’s track record of fixing issues with the mk8, it’ll take some time before issues are resolved - that’s if VW actually manage to resolve them :whistle:

All brand new models have issues.... all of them.... even facelifts. Remember foglight gate?

Agree. The facelift of the current Polo has more issues than the pre-facelift car if discussions on the Polo forum are anything to go by.

I do remember fog light gate too :grin:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2023, 12:24 »

Better imho to pursue a nice MK7.5 GTi. Run it and enjoy it until the 8.5 is released here.  Makes good £ sense.  You might get used to a car that just works, doesn’t bong or ping all the time.
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2023, 20:07 »
That 7.5 GTI looks nice.

My crystal ball gazing is a bit hit and miss, but seeing as the Golf Black Edition has recently been punted onto the market with a bit of internet spamming to promote it then that signals an end of line special edition. Coupled with sunroofs disappearing from ordering making the model rundown assembly simpler (towards the end of 7.5 production VW punted out loads of cars with sunroofs as maybe they had excess stocks of them and don’t want to be caught like that again).
I’m guessing maybe production line changes for March/April time similar to when the 7.5 was launched.
£2k deposit contribution has recently appeared on ALL Golfs where there was recently no incentives on GTI/CS/R models.
Six month model rundown started?

So, 7.5 or 8.5? My money would be on a discounted run out model 8.0 as the car market heads for pre-winter slowdown. There are a few ‘no options’ R20 Years in dealers right now with discounts.

As an aside, I recently got sent emails from VW about joining a ‘voice’ group. The subtext of this points toward disguising (amongst a load of meaningless chat) the roll out of fixed price purchases similar to what Mercedes Benz now do, as briefly discussed here. Mixed thoughts on this - no discounting but used models should hold value slightly better in a stage managed market.   
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2023, 20:26 »
Looks a good spec but with prices beginning to stabilize not sure the price is right given the age and mileage but would certainly go for the 7.5 at this point in time.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2023, 20:10 »
As an aside, I recently got sent emails from VW about joining a ‘voice’ group. The subtext of this points toward disguising (amongst a load of meaningless chat) the roll out of fixed price purchases similar to what Mercedes Benz now do, as briefly discussed here. Mixed thoughts on this - no discounting but used models should hold value slightly better in a stage managed market.

We’ve just bought a 520d touring as the new family car, it was “approved used”… BMW were very much the same, absolutely no discounts, not even a tank of fuel. It was very much a “take it or leave it” approach.

The dealer openly said, “we check autotrader, price at the lowest we can to meet margins and then price is fixed”. I even asked if the was any incentive for their finance over cash... Nope same price!

We liked the car so bought it, but, felt a very different experience from my last purchases.

The CS45, I was playing 2 main dealers off against each other and got 13% off list, then got a service plan and tank of fuel thrown in for good measure 😂.

My opinion of the mk7.5, looks good, I really liked my 7.5 GTD, I also had Dynaudio and thought it was better than the HK in the CS45.

Interesting point regarding the dynaudio though, I found a significant improvement in sound quality using Apple Music via USB rather than Bluetooth. Not sure why, might be discussed on here, I didn’t care, I just always plugged in.

I also remember fog light gate, I was waiting for my GTD, but it was a company car (LEX), so I couldn’t call a dealer to ask regarding fog lights, I was relieved when it had them, it was a March 2018.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline MaggotsRus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2023, 22:07 »
Not sure why you would go back in time unless it’s a true classic. Nothing lasts forever as my father says. You can get deals with dealers why some would not even give you a tank of fuel for and still want to do a deal with for not sure why you would do that!!!! Still got my ED45 still stunning car lots of extras. Golf R 20th edition lots of dealers offering cracking prices. One dealer is doing brand new at £43k Why a 7.5 ????? Time moves on and those that are waiting for a 8.5 will be waiting two years in that 😂

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2023, 07:21 »
Also, are those alloys genuine VW?

Yes they will probably be the black ones refubrbed (can't remember what they are called) with red outer (that look like you have alligator rim protectors fitted🤣)
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2023, 08:25 »
Also, are those alloys genuine VW?

Yes they will probably be the black ones refubrbed (can't remember what they are called) with red outer (that look like you have alligator rim protectors fitted🤣)

They’re 18” Seville alloys - the factory finish was anthracite grey with a red pinstripe around the rim. I’ve always liked them, even with the red pinstripe which is a bit of a ‘Marmite’ thing, and the anthracite grey finish hides the dirt well and is so much more durable than the rather poor durability of a diamond cut finish.

IMHO the only downside is they not the easiest alloy to clean as the design is quite ‘intricate’.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2023, 11:23 »
Thanks all. Appreciate all the advice and comments.

I have thought long and hard about this the last few days and have decided to wait until the 8.5 is unveiled and then place my order for that once order books open. I do expect a longish wait, but I think times are starting to improve.

My mum recently bought a new Polo, appreciate it's not a performance model and Golf is slightly longer wait, however, she was quoted 6 months for delivery from ordering, however, car was built last week and dealer reckons we will have it middle of next month which will be just under 4 months from when we placed the order.

Saying that though, the wait alone for the unveiling of the 8.5 is not easy lol.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2023, 20:49 »
If it was a Polo built last week then I wouldn’t expect it the middle of November… lots of sales people forget or don’t even know they are built in South Africa…. :grin:

When I was at VW a Polo from it being built to actually arriving with the retailer and being available for delivery is about 2 months….

It might be built but they don’t run ships daily from South Africa so manage her expectations and it should arrive before Xmas  :wink:
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.