Author Topic: Infotainment performance meters  (Read 1952 times)

Offline DrG_GTi

• Not said much yet
Infotainment performance meters
« on: 13 September 2023, 20:47 »
Evening, any ideas how this is configured? Found it on one of the Facebook euro GTI groups, the guy is being a bit slow on the response, but has said previously it was done with obd coding.... my initial thoughts were some sort of obd plug/box and some harness to connect to the infotainment, but it would be cool if it's just solid coding alone.  Thoughts?
Video of it in action https://imgur.com/gallery/8oPC7cx

'21 Mk8 GTi ClubSport

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Infotainment performance meters
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2023, 23:04 »
Oddly it looks more like a phone app, maybe an odb dongle that talks to the phone and then displays info using carplay/android auto

Edit: quick search of the Apple Store there are a lot of ODB apps one even has VAG in its name, maybe you can provide your own graphics and tailor it.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2023, 23:10 by ajmoir36 »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2023, 07:53 »
I know the hardware / midware / software is very different and it’s probably not the same dial info, but has the Mk 8 not got the same standard feature of the 7.5 in displaying Turbo Boost / Oil Temp / Water Temp / Kw / g force in the infotainment screen?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline DrG_GTi

• Not said much yet
'21 Mk8 GTi ClubSport

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2023, 09:30 »
I know the hardware / midware / software is very different and it’s probably not the same dial info, but has the Mk 8 not got the same standard feature of the 7.5 in displaying Turbo Boost / Oil Temp / Water Temp / Kw / g force in the infotainment screen?

No, not in the main infotainment screen, however you can get those dials to show in the main cluster.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2023, 11:36 »
Makes sense then👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline DrG_GTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2023, 13:50 »
Got it working in my '21 Clubsport. Having a play still but most data points work. Only caveat here is you'll need a torque obd2 dongle, and the torque pro app - as it seems that VW are either not exposing internal Exlap data, or at least not the same port as the mk7 platform to be able to do this without a obd2 tool plugged in.
Few other things to point out, the fella that developed the app doesn't support it anymore, AND Google stopped supporting custom Android Auto apps so you'll need the below work around.
But with that said pretty cool.

It is Android only.

My pics:

Short vid here, Mk8 performance monitor working https://imgur.com/gallery/qD8sRMR
'21 Mk8 GTi ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2023, 15:14 »
Why would you want it on the mib? why not just toggle the AID instead?

Especially given all of the difficulties with android auto and not supported apps....

The Mk7.5 used to have a mib screen like this and other than "oooh look at that" for 5 seconds... what was it useful for?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DrG_GTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2023, 17:16 »
It was an experiment to see if we could get it to work. We can. Useful? Maybe to some, it's got a lot more available data points than the AID has, loads more in fact.
I've documented the circumnavigation of the AA issues so that folks can use this if they want to, you obviously don't which is fair enough.
'21 Mk8 GTi ClubSport