Author Topic: Tick, tock, year three countdown…  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Tick, tock, year three countdown…
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2023, 21:11 »
Only you can answer this one.  :smiley:
Me personally I wouldn't be owning a mk8 out of warranty and especially if they bring out a 8.5 as you know what VW are like. I know you wouldn't do what i would do. But just for reference If itvwas me i would drop back down to a 7.5 but that's just me.

I actually really like some of the mk8 features.
There’s no going back now!
Besides, if I were to trade back to a 7.5 I’d end up paying more for an older car that I’d not cared for myself from new.
No heated steering wheel on a 7.5  :laugh: and the mk8 headlights are amazing which is important to me as I drive a lot in the dark.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2023, 22:31 »
I’d keep the Golf 100% and chuck the money into the mortgage.

That clubsport is an amazing all round package, supply of new cars is really improving so discounts and support from manufacturers will be improving over the next 6-12 months.

The current cost to buy a car equally as good as yours albeit “new” is silly compared to what you paid for yours. So probably seems hard to swallow spending so much money on what might be a minimum improvement in all round car….

But knowing you this is the longest you’ve had a car for, so I’d be amazed if you don’t have a new car by the end of September  :grin:
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2023, 22:31 »
I still remember that beautiful MK6 GTI your traded in with us  :laugh:
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2023, 23:23 »
How much would a dealer give you for a direct swap into a new CS? There are a fair few of cancelled orders floating about at the moment in some lovely specs.
I’ve done 1450 miles in my CS (built May 2023) and obviously it is far too early to say about wider reliability but so far it hasn’t bonged. And even if it did then you’d have a fresh warranty.

Of course there is the option of purchasing a 4/5 year term warranty from VWFS for your existing Clubbie?

In the long lead up to my CS arriving, I often wondered “what else could I buy?”

Mk8 245? Nice but in my head the CS represents better bang for buck
7.5 TCR? Lovely but getting old now tech wise and most have been ragged
Golf R? 4WD spoils the fun and I can’t get the R-Line connotations out of my head
S3? Too dull
Cupra Leon 300? Too ugly
Merc A35? Bling tastic and nasty shoddy interior build
M135i? Close, but doesn’t drive as well as a CS and ugly nose.
M240i? Ticks nearly every both but ludicrously expensive and still not exactly a looker. FAST though
RS3? Looks cheap inside and out compared to the latest Golfs but you can’t argue with the engine

I don’t think anything else is even worth considering, I’d love an Arteon R though!

All my opinion of course  :laugh:

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2023, 23:51 »
Like banksy I’ve had my CS since March and had no issues - honestly can’t think of a single bong. So if you can swap to a new one for minimal increase and get the new protections I’d do that but given lack of issues right now would go down the just keep option.

I kept my mk6 for 8 years, I currently never plan on selling my mk8….

While waiting for mine to arrive (almost two years) I considered a Cupra Leon estate and there is a formentor on my road….. but I would always come back to its a golf I wanted.
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 09 August 2023, 00:47 »
Personally I don’t like owning a performance VW sans warranty in place.  Can’t see the massive benefits vs cost of an extended warranty over the All In.  Perhaps it’s a brand loyalty thing to pay full price for each component included in All In Plan?
To me it seems an easy way to keep continued warranty and servicing in place for the minimum outlay, but ETTO
« Last Edit: 09 August 2023, 07:54 by DSGboy »
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 09 August 2023, 08:02 »
Of you are definitely replacing, the S3 is good shout. APR is ridiculous, but on PCP the GFV shot up, so monthlies aren't any worse - you're just paying more interest and less capital in your monthlies. Found it easy to get £1800 dealership discount on top of the deposit contribution. I got the normal S3 with brushed aluminium bits before black edition recently became default - as mine is black, I prefer it - black on black might look a bit drug dealer or Halfords Charva to me.

Pros - I like the leather seats, will probably not age well though. Climate and steering wheel  physical buttons.

Cons - you have to pay for ACC. All the hardware is there,  you can buy remotely at a later date per  year or outright.

MG4 is an awfully built car, what I would call a binnable car, does not look and feel like it's made to  last much longer than the very limited 7 year warranty. My neighbour has one and he agrees our Cupra Born is a much nicer car all in. I'd rather have a nice car that's brisk, than a turd of a car that's very quick. He's had his trophy 7 months, and it's been in for lumpy seats and an oil leak on the motor box already. Took a long time to get parts too.

Just paid off our mortgage and we own our cars outright
Unless range and weight on BEVs improves a lot, i'll likely get an RS3 on last opportunity to buy ICE in 2029.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 09 August 2023, 09:44 »
Happy to take you out in my RS3 if you are in Wales. Very difficult to find a dealer with a demo they will let you drive. It's growing on me but I would still probably sell if I got a good offer. Had a fantastic drive up to Aberystwyth recently for my boys graduation  :cool:

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 09 August 2023, 14:37 »
I would also keep it tbh get VW all component cover extended warranty 0 xs.
Seems md to spend all that extra on a car that will not be much if any quicker and will more than likely have  worse spec, also the clubby will hold it money better than a lot of other cars and also not command the stupid 40k plus roD tax.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 09 August 2023, 19:17 »
@ Lee evo1986 I can’t believe you still remember the mk6 after all this time, you must’ve seen hundreds of cars pass through since  :grin: it was a nice spec example though.

You’re correct, this Clubsport is the longest I’ve kept a car, but only just, the previous Ed40 wasn’t far behind.

@BanksyGTI, another Clubsport is off the cards, no point in buying another when it’d cost me nigh on £20k plus luxury tax. I’d rather keep mine and maybe do a few things to it. Or buy a semi-classic VW project. Or something.

You do realise you said 4WD is boring before you suggested several 4WD cars  :whistle:  :laugh:

@Kenis, I wish I had your patience and staying power! I’m a bit of a rolling stone when it comes to cars despite being the world’s most boring person in all other areas.
It’s reassuring to see you’re still bong free  :smiley: it shows there’s hope.

@DSGboy the ‘all in one’ is definitely on my radar and was before the bongs started last year especially as VW were doing Black Friday deals, which if repeated this year would be perfect to coincide with the end of my factory warranty :afro:

@monkeyhanger, the S3 actually comes in a bit cheaper on the monthlies than a Golf R for the reasons you state.
I’m really not a fan of leather seats (the mk8 Golf ones are nice though) but the lack of ACC would be a plus in my book! No heated steering wheel though  :cry:

The MG4 is a turd in many respects granted. But it’d be fun until the novelty wore off.

RS3? That brings me on to…

@Tractor Dave, thank you, appreciated  :smiley:
Maybe it’s back to plan A then and resume saving for an Audi 5 pot.  :drool:

@davo245, Excellent points well made sir  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner