Author Topic: Anyone fitted dynamic indicators - advice sought  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Anyone fitted dynamic indicators - advice sought
« on: 30 January 2023, 20:15 »
Hi everyone. I have a set of Osram tinted LED dynamic mirror indicators and a new set of black mirror caps I am hoping to fit this week. I have viewed a couple of videos on YouTube: the Humble Mechanic's guide and also Volkswizard's video re this. I believe it's easy to unintentionally break clips on the mirror housing or crack the mirror glass. Has anyone already done this and if so are there any precautions action to help avoid pitfalls? I have a set of trim tools to do this. Thanks.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Anyone fitted dynamic indicators - advice sought
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2023, 20:32 »
Hi,

I did this to the 45 when I first got it. Mine are cheapo Ali Express but work perfectly. Follow the guide and you won’t go wrong. It’s really easy. Worst bit is getting the glass out.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2023, 20:39 »
I also bought a set from AliExpress some time ago. They cost £14.95 and in comparison to the Osram’s which were a lot more, they look okay. If I get the Osram’s fitted successfully I’ll look for a new home for them. 
« Last Edit: 30 January 2023, 21:28 by Ceefeesh »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2023, 21:03 »
I managed to fit gloss black caps without removing the glass at all! The trick is to dip the glass down as far as possible and to the left/right. That gives you enough room above the glass to work with a small trim removal tool or even a knife / flat blade screwdriver and you should be able to release the clips at the top of the mirror cap.

« Last Edit: 30 January 2023, 21:05 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2023, 22:33 »
I bought gloss black mirror caps off AliExpress for about £30. They look okay but I’ll see how they go on.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2023, 23:56 »
I bought gloss black mirror caps off AliExpress for about £30. They look okay but I’ll see how they go on.

That’s where I got mine. Fitted about 15-16 months and are perfect. You’d never tell them apart from the OEM ones on the CS45.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2023, 09:56 »

That’s where I got mine. Fitted about 15-16 months and are perfect. You’d never tell them apart from the OEM ones on the CS45.

Do you have a link for these?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2023, 11:09 »

These are the ones I bought from AliExpress back in august 2022, they’re great quality and still look like new a year later!
5H0857537 5H0857538 Black Pair Mirror Cover Rear View Side Mirror Cap Lane Change Side Blind Spot Assist For Golf 8 MK8
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EvPRfqx
« Last Edit: 16 August 2023, 11:12 by Carlosfandango »
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2023, 17:28 »

These are the ones I bought from AliExpress back in august 2022, they’re great quality and still look like new a year later!
5H0857537 5H0857538 Black Pair Mirror Cover Rear View Side Mirror Cap Lane Change Side Blind Spot Assist For Golf 8 MK8
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EvPRfqx

Thank you sir👍
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2023, 20:56 »
Fitted a set of Osram dynamic indicators today, very impressed look absolute quality! Way better than the OEM ones vw fit! And also much better than the cheap chinese ones too!😃 brighter also and how it should of been from factory!

Great mod that is well worth it.
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI