Author Topic: MK8 CS - Gearbox error  (Read 9445 times)

Offline cs95

• Just got here
MK8 CS - Gearbox error
« on: 18 September 2022, 11:16 »
Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster. Owned my CS for over a year now that’s been plagued with the issues everyone else seems to have.

Newest issue which I haven’t seen anyone post is almost everytime I start the car now I get both the following error messages:

Error: Gearbox - you can drive on.
Error: Selector lever - you can drive on - please visit workshop.

This is booked in for 2 weeks time however the technician didn’t seem too bothered/concerned about the above but did mention it won’t be covered by warranty if a new gearbox is required (only 14k miles) which I just laughed. It will also be in for what could be it’s third steering wheel due to constantly disabling all assists whilst driving. I believe this is running the latest software as it was only serviced 4/6 weeks ago.

Has anyone else come across the above? Could this just be a software issue?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: MK8 CS - Gearbox error
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2022, 11:38 »
Assuming your car hasn’t had any engine / gearbox modifications that could have caused the problem you’re experiencing, if it’s not a software issue I’d be asking the tech to show you where in the warranty t’s and c’s it states that the repair / replacement of a gearbox with a manufacturing defect wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2022, 20:36 »
Exactly that.  If they can't prove you have somehow misused the gearbox and that the failure is the direct result of that misuse the replacement should be covered.  To be blunt they are talking out of their arse.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2022, 21:38 »
A very odd thing for the techie to say unless he’s seen something when interrogating the TCU.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2022, 08:12 »
I’ve had this error a few times too. Usually preceded by a loud clonk when putting the car in gear. Was going to mention it at the next service. Hadn’t done it for a few months now though

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2022, 13:04 »
My GTI has a DSG box and I, too, recently experienced the clunking sound and asked my dealer to investigate. They agreed with my assessment and, without any quibble, immediately replaced the selector switch mechanism,  under warranty. It seems that I'm not alone because there's a TPI covering the issue.

In the circumstances, I suggest you refer your dealer to tpi 2067084/1 and tell them to get on with sorting out the problem.

Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2022, 16:28 »
Not too long after a software update, mine developed both the yellow light gearbox error and the yellow light selector lever error, so it was booked in and I was told the car also had a recall for a large software update which was a two-day job.  So I totally enjoyed my time driving a manual Golf Life.  :sick: It didn't even have a left-stalk button so I wasn't able to use 'The Brocky Method' for deactivating the lane assist!

I have just picked my car up and I was told that the software update has cleared the gearbox and selector errors but, as it was an intermittent fault, to let them know if it is still happening in the coming days.  All good so far. 

Got into the car and was expecting to have to mess about with settings.  Spent an hour trying to get back on as Primary User, which worked eventually but then didn't turn back on automatically when I stopped briefly to pick up a Subway on the way home, so we will see how that goes. 

One thing that was incredibly pleasing, however, was that Android Auto now works wirelessly!  I actually let out an ecstatic "YOOOO!" when it kicked in.  :laugh:  That said, during the hour drive home, my phone charged around 8% (wired would have charged at least 25%) and was boiling hot when I took it out of the cubby hole, so I won't be making my in-car cable redundant, I don't think, but it's nice that I don't need to plug in every time I get into the car. 

Almost makes the experience of driving the Golf Life worth it...
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2022, 18:17 »
Some positive news there Brocky.
I see a few Golf 8 Life models out on the roads. Every time I see one I wonder “why?”
Why would you buy such an ugly car when there are much better options out there? You’d have to be pretty desperate to have a VW badge on your nose and rump to get a Life model over an equivalent A3 or A class or 1 series or new Peugeot Astra or even a LWB Leon, plus any number of Japanese hatches.
An R Line looks quite attractive, but anything more basic than that in the Golf 8 range just looks crap inside and out. Give me a T-Roc any day (and that’s from someone that really dislikes SUV’s).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2022, 01:23 »
Well, it look like I spoke too soon.  The selector lever and gearbox errors popped back up today, so it seems that it's not software related.  Servicing at Inchcape was closed by the time I called, so I will be on to them again first thing on Monday.

When it was in yesterday, the lady on the service desk told me that the selector lever part is on back-order, so who knows how long a wait I might have.  I'm not sure if I should insist on a loan car until they can get it in for the fix, as I don't feel confident driving around in a DSG that is throwing up a gearbox error, even despite the 'You can drive on' message.  Don't think I could handle dailying a Golf Life for the foreseeable, though, and I'm not sure how much luck I will have pushing for them to loan me something a bit better.  :sad:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Salamanca

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2022, 01:14 »
My GTI is booked in tomorrow for exactly the same error messages.
No noises or symptoms from the DSG, just "Error: selector lever. You can drive on. Please visit workshop."
Then "Error: Gearbox"
I'll post when I get the car back.