Author Topic: Missing Service History - MK7.5 2019 Golf GTI Performance  (Read 4317 times)

Offline leon101

• Just got here
Hi everyone.

I deposited for a MK7.5 2019 Golf GTI Performance last week but I'm worried I might've made a big mistake.

The car only has 15k miles and no previous owners. Condition looked great, very clean and looks barely used. It's being sold by a Volvo dealer. Was priced at around £25k.

When I went to test drive the car, they said the vehicle doesn't have a full service history but was serviced before. Their reasoning for this was because of the service reminder that's shown in the infotainment display.

They said they tried to get in touch with the person who sold them the car but was apparently hard to get a hold of. They also said they called Volkswagen but was told that there's no official service history on there. I also called them to see if they have anything but they don't.

I was told they'd do a service on the car before I pick it up, so I went ahead and deposited for the car (£1k).

Now that the excitement has faded a bit, I have a feeling that I've made a big (and stupid) mistake.

Is there anything I could do now to help the situation? The deposit is also non-refundable. Maybe I should try and ask them to get information on where it was last serviced?

Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
I suspect all will be ok if the condition is immaculate and it has been serviced at least once. I had mine serviced by a local Independent who had access to the VW electronic service records ( I had it from new anyway but was a bit concerned about losing its history post move away from a Main Dealer) - might be worth fishing around a bit for piece of mind. Good luck.

Ps - what do you mean by ‘no previous owner’?
« Last Edit: 09 May 2022, 18:17 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
You could register with VW Erwin, anyone can do this, https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do, and input the vehicle details to see if its got a digital service record.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline leon101

• Just got here
Just to clarify, Volkswagen said that the car has never been serviced with them. The only evidence of service is the service reminder shown in the car (which could be faked I guess).

The Volvo dealer that's selling the car has said they'd do a service just for peace of mind. Would this be good enough given the age and mileage?

And by no previous owner I mean it's only has 1 owner (I'd be the 2nd owner).

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
I'm not clear on your logic of the service reminder meaning it has had a service - couldn't it mean it's never had a service - as VW are telling you? Otherwise you are saying that the service reminder doesn't show the very first time it needs a service.

3 year old car on 15k that's never been serviced, that's what it sounds like.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline leon101

• Just got here
I'm not clear on your logic of the service reminder meaning it has had a service - couldn't it mean it's never had a service - as VW are telling you? Otherwise you are saying that the service reminder doesn't show the very first time it needs a service.

3 year old car on 15k that's never been serviced, that's what it sounds like.

It's not my logic - it was what the Volvo dealer told me and showed me. It wasn't until later that I realised it could be fake.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
@leon101; if the car’s three years old - or close to three years old, it’ll also be due to have the first brake fluid change at three years. I’d be looking to get the selling dealer to agree to do this at no cost to you, in addition servicing the car.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline leon101

• Just got here
@leon101; if the car’s three years old - or close to three years old, it’ll also be due to have the first brake fluid change at three years. I’d be looking to get the selling dealer to agree to do this at no cost to you, in addition servicing the car.

Thanks SRGTD, I'll make a note of that. They did say they'll do a service on the car before I pick it up, but wasn't clear on whether it'll be a minor or major service. I'll make sure I get a proper invoice for it though.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here

Thanks SRGTD, I'll make a note of that. They did say they'll do a service on the car before I pick it up, but wasn't clear on whether it'll be a minor or major service. I'll make sure I get a proper invoice for it though.

As there’s some doubt over service history, I’d be pushing for a full major service.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
A major service at 3 years includes a VAQ oil change as well. They will have to source the appropriate oil. May not have the expertise?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.