Author Topic: GTi TCR Good Investment?  (Read 5422 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: GTi TCR Good Investment?
« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2022, 08:47 »
I must say firstly its a nice tidy looking example, but if it was me spending my cash on a TCR it would have to be in Pure Grey, its the exclusive TCR colour which distinguishes them apart from any other GTI.

A nice 3 dr Pure Grey with Performance Pack, no sunroof, would be my choice, from things ive read theres not much difference between the standard pipe over an Akra so i wouldnt bother so much about that.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2022, 09:54 »
I must say firstly its a nice tidy looking example, but if it was me spending my cash on a TCR it would have to be in Pure Grey, its the exclusive TCR colour which distinguishes them apart from any other GTI.

A nice 3 dr Pure Grey with Performance Pack, no sunroof, would be my choice, from things ive read theres not much difference between the standard pipe over an Akra so i wouldnt bother so much about that.

The problem is with only 831 licensed TCR’s on the UK’s roads as at Q3 2021 they’re relatively rare (source; https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/volkswagen_golf_gti_tcr_s-a). So the more selective you are in terms of colour, spec, number of doors etc., the less chance you have of finding that ‘perfect’ car.

IMHO, condition and service/ maintenance history is more important than spec when buying a used car, and it might be necessary to make compromises on spec.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2022, 10:04 »
This is the one he's going for, got it for £33k, its got such a huge rare spec ive never seen before

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205045319269?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars
huge spec? Performance pack, leather and sunroof are the options the rest is standard spec. Looks nice never the less but majority of adverts say huge spec as sellers don't seem to have a clue the standard spec is so good.

You show me a TCR with leather, roof and performance pack then other than that one!
big difference between rare spec and huge spec. This one falls into rare. They are fantastic cars and as long as your brother is happy with it that's all that counts 👍
« Last Edit: 13 May 2022, 10:10 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2022, 11:04 »
Nice looking for sure but it doesn’t stand out as a TCR, for most it will just look like a gti

If I wanted a better chance of it being worth more somewhere down the line I would look to align to what makes it special as mentioned above:

Pure grey 
Reifnitz  (comes with dcc and top speed)
Interior cloth
Akra exhaust

Non of this makes it a better car, but could help down the line as these options define more than anything what the tcr is, to me at least.

I have a very early car and it didn't have the Akra exhaust otherwise all of the above are ticked. This makes it more exclusive and worth a massive premium.  :grin:

Likewise, I listed my spec  :grin:

Just wanted to highlight these were the exclusive items (sans the exhaust maybe - but it became standard rather than an option).  This to me if I was looking at it being an investment would make these options more appealing.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2022, 12:46 »
The problem is with only 831 licensed TCR’s on the UK’s roads as at Q3 2021 they’re relatively rare (source; https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/volkswagen_golf_gti_tcr_s-a). So the more selective you are in terms of colour, spec, number of doors etc., the less chance you have of finding that ‘perfect’ car.

IMHO, condition and service/ maintenance history is more important than spec when buying a used car, and it might be necessary to make compromises on spec.

LOL, I know only too well as i was on the hunt for a 3 door Clubsport, manual, with Recaros.
Makes the number of available cars very small, but if your prepared to wait, hopefully, the right one comes along.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2022, 13:42 »
Since the financial crisis of 2008 & covid shock induced equity fall in 2020, the S&P 500 bounceback has been the investors choice, saying that it is currently down 17 % year to date....on that basis, how bad can a TCR be as an investment? :)

If you want a relatively mainstream car like a Golf edition to hold or even increase in value it needs to be the correct (desirable) spec, well serviced and low (ish) mileage.
It helps if you use other cars to keep the mileage down, in some regards, you are keeping it prime for the next new owner to enjoy, but you may not lose much or even gain depending on the car with consideration to the state of the economy & regulation.

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2022, 13:26 »
I’ve been considering a TCR. But to use the word investment and car in the same sentence made me smile. “Holding it’s value” or “lower depreciation “ would make more sense but an investment it is not.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2022, 16:28 »
He's bought it anyway, car was delivered today, lovely example very clean

MK7 GTi

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2022, 17:41 »

Hope he enjoys it!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2022, 18:58 »

Hope he enjoys it!

Me too, he drives like miss daisy so doubt it! :grin:

MK7 GTi