Author Topic: Golf R v GTI PP  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
Golf R v GTI PP
« on: 19 February 2022, 21:43 »
Very new to the forum and having had a MK7 Golf R wondered if there were many other members who have had both??

My thoughts so far
Gti PP
Better looks , lights , fog lights, red across grill
Prefer the interior, red stitching, chrome around the steering wheel , honeycomb finish on Dash
Drive , a lot more involving, yes this is a manual GTI but with  the R you you have to go so fast for it to feel quick, think you get more thrills at more achievable speeds being FWD over AWD .
Just a brief view in my first month of ownership, love the heritage of the GTI .
Be interested to hear others views.
GTI PP, Leather, Pan roof, Rev Camera, Keyless , MIB2

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1
GTI 5 DSG
RS4 B7
GTI 4 1.8T
GTI 3
GTI 1 CAB

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf R v GTI PP
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2022, 21:54 »
Not owned an R but spend a bit of time testing both the R and S3.

I found the GTI feels much lighter through the bends and on the brakes.

I also felt the blue lighting on the R was a bit severe compared to the GTI.

If I wanted an estate, an R wagon DSG would be a great way to make a dog sick!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2022, 22:42 »
Hi Dazie, your R looks familiar from forums a few years ago.

I went from a GTI PP to an R to a Clubsport to a TCR.
I liked the way the R revved much more cleanly but found the GTI more nimble and didn’t have the turning circle of a truck. The Clubsport kind of had the best blend of both, the TCR was a bit better again aside from the DCC did my back in and the DSG did my head in.

Prior to that I had a string of Golfs like yourself, all of the turbo cars were remapped. Why waste all that engineered in potential? Unlike yourself I had a few mk2’s as well. That kind of replies to your other thread.

Your GTI looks really good with the REVO wheels, the rear arches are filled out nicely now. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2022, 07:47 »
Those wheels do look rather smart👍
« Last Edit: 21 February 2022, 09:24 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2022, 20:13 »
Hi Dazie, your R looks familiar from forums a few years ago.

I went from a GTI PP to an R to a Clubsport to a TCR.
I liked the way the R revved much more cleanly but found the GTI more nimble and didn’t have the turning circle of a truck. The Clubsport kind of had the best blend of both, the TCR was a bit better again aside from the DCC did my back in and the DSG did my head in.

Prior to that I had a string of Golfs like yourself, all of the turbo cars were remapped. Why waste all that engineered in potential? Unlike yourself I had a few mk2’s as well. That kind of replies to your other thread.

Your GTI looks really good with the REVO wheels, the rear arches are filled out nicely now.

Yes matey.i recognise your name from VWROC forum , do fancy an Clubsport 40 at some point but the TCR is only in DSG , ATM i'm loving being back in a manual, still got my silver Mk5 GTI, not sure what to do with it TBH, there are so many about i doubt it'll ever be rare and a classic but ut's still a great drivers car.

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1
GTI 5 DSG
RS4 B7
GTI 4 1.8T
GTI 3
GTI 1 CAB

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2022, 20:15 »
Not owned an R but spend a bit of time testing both the R and S3.

I found the GTI feels much lighter through the bends and on the brakes.

I also felt the blue lighting on the R was a bit severe compared to the GTI.

If I wanted an estate, an R wagon DSG would be a great way to make a dog sick!
I agree, it does feel so much lighter than the R does, and as  for an estate, i do think VW are missing a trick not doing a GTI estate.

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1
GTI 5 DSG
RS4 B7
GTI 4 1.8T
GTI 3
GTI 1 CAB

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2022, 20:17 »
This wheels do look rather smart👍
Thanks, love the Revo wheels, was so lucky to find these grey ones on Ebay

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1
GTI 5 DSG
RS4 B7
GTI 4 1.8T
GTI 3
GTI 1 CAB

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2022, 15:31 »
Yes matey.i recognise your name from VWROC forum , do fancy an Clubsport 40 at some point but the TCR is only in DSG , ATM i'm loving being back in a manual, still got my silver Mk5 GTI, not sure what to do with it TBH, there are so many about i doubt it'll ever be rare and a classic but ut's still a great drivers car.

I used to visit there on occasion some years ago but haven’t been over there for some time and won’t be back! Persona non grata.

The Clubsport 40’s are stupid money now and many examples won’t justify the high price tags.

As for the mk5, it will be worth a few quid in years to come for sure. There are less and less around now. Many were crashed or badly modified, many more went rusty and have been shoved away out of sight. Tidy ones will become desireable for certain as it’s almost as iconic a model as the mk1 and mk2’s.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mr Hatt

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2022, 19:55 »
I guess great minds do think alike, we have the GTI pp and wanted the R power without the weight so with an IS38 conversion, big intercooler, complete exhaust upgrade and a decent map we now have roughly 400 bhp in a GTI pp in Tornado with Evo`s.  Whats the odds on that??

Offline m4t_lee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2022, 22:03 »
 :smiley:
« Last Edit: 20 June 2022, 13:49 by m4t_lee »