Author Topic: Monday of Suffering  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Gavlar

• Just got here
Monday of Suffering
« on: 31 January 2022, 21:08 »
Hello all,

Just joined the site as today has been a nightmare, and I needed to ask some people who know their Golf's.

I have a 19 plate GTi mk7.5, which after saving for nearly 3 years I managed to afford. It is my joy. I love that car as it makes me feel 18 again in my Mk2.

So during last nights storms, a tree decided to give up on standing up, and fall on my car. My wife woke me this morning, in tears as she didn't know how to tell me! It fell onto the drivers side front pillar (running along the windscreen) then other branches hit the windscreen / bonnet / Drivers front side panel.

The windscreen / bonnet need replacing, as does the front wing. However, the car transporter bloke saw the damage on the pillar, and just said "This will be scrapped".

Can these pillars be repaired? it's not bent out of true, just dented.

Someone give me any thoughs after what has been a shocking day!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Monday of Suffering
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2022, 09:31 »
A pillar sometimes might be repaired, B not very often.

However, its always a case of the repairs not exceeding a percentage of the writeoff value...

All you can do is to wait and see what they say as it depends on so many specifics.

Sorry for your loss :(
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2022, 12:54 »
The fact that it’s 3 years old and will still be worth a few quid will hopefully work in your favour - fingers crossed for you🤞
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2022, 14:35 »
Sorry that it happened so soon after buying.

A pillars are normally a main part of the safety cell construction, and if there is a dent, it may affect the strength of the load path in the event of a crash, so might not be favourable to repair. I hope I'm wrong and that you can get it done, as the cars are such a pleasure to live with!

Offline Gavlar

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2022, 22:25 »
Good news party people.

4 months in the repair shop in Castle Donnington. 2 months delay over a 7.5 bonnet from Germany.

She lives!! My 7.5 is driving like a dream!!

Having said that, I took her in for her last warranty service and mentioned a rattle on the passengers side trim. VW investigated it and quoted £378 for a new passenger side sill trim replacement. Turns out two of the clips had folded over themselves. 10 minutes with a set of pliers and its all good.

Thank you all for your advice!

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2022, 10:26 »
Glad it is all sorted. The mk7.5 is a lovely car. Just enjoy it now :smiley:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2022, 11:40 »
Good news!

Glad you got it sorted, just in time for the (supposed!) sunny weather too.

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2022, 16:51 »
Good to read.