Author Topic: Micro cracking on Tyres?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Micro cracking on Tyres?
« on: 16 November 2021, 10:28 »
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice. When my GTI had it's 1st MOT back in May this year, whilst it passed and had no official advisories, the tester did make a comment that 3 of the 4 tyres were showing signs of cracking on the outer tread blocks, and he said if it got any worse, it could be an MOT failure next year. Now to be honest, I sort of forgot, but when I was cleaning the car the other day, remembered and had a good look, and sure enough 3 tyres display some quite heavy cracking.

The tyres are all the factory original Pirelli P-Zero's (225x35x19) and all all date stamped 01/18 (car was built in April 18, and 1st registered in May 18). Now I know they are over 3 years old, and have 20k miles on them, and most folk I'm sure would just say replace them, but the trouble is all 3 affected tyres still have nearly 5mm on them (lowest has 4.5mm) so no where near worn out yet and still give decent grip. The reason why 3 have gone and not 4, is that the nearside front tyre was replaced early 2019 following a puncture so that has a different build date. Despite this tyre having done over 13,000 miles itself, it's displaying no cracking at all.

Do you guys think this is a manufacturing defect or just the way the car's geometry is set up (although wouldn't explain why the new tyre isn't affected) ? BTW, it's literally just the outer tread block. The remaining 75% of the tread is perfect and none of the 3 main tread grooves display and signs of cracking around the circumference of the tyre ? I'm fairly certain it's not damage due to chemicals as my tyre shine is water based and I don't cover the inside tread block - just the walls. What do you guys think ?

Pictures below:

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline CS#303

• Not said much yet
Re: Micro cracking on Tyres?
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2021, 10:45 »
UV damage?
It would explain why the parts of the tyres that are in the shade of the wheel wells are not affected.
Used to see this on the spare tyres hanging on the back of 4X4s, when I had a Defender the tyre guy told me to get a cover on my spare as UV kills them.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2021, 10:56 »
There's some interesting posts on the subject - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1721307

Personally I would get four new PS4S and enjoy the better grip, better ride comfort and better wet weather performance they offer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CS#303

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2021, 11:32 »
+1 vote for the PS4s.

I swapped out the factory fit Pirelli for PS4s on my clubsport and love them, better in the dry and WAYYYY better in the wet.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2021, 11:57 »
What's wear life like on PS4's - I don't want a tyre I'm going to have to replace every year because they have worn out ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2021, 12:14 »
I had 20k miles on mine (PS4S not PS4) when I sold the car and there was a few more miles left in them. Had the same from the P-Zeros. The P-Zeros on my current car are at 16k now and seem to be wearing better than the ones I had before so there must've been a change in design at some point, probably why you also have tread left. But what I disliked about the first set is the same with the new ones, tightness is the only reason I haven't changed them yet.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2021, 13:13 »
Why not email the pics to Pirelli & ask if this is normal.

I had cracking on sidewalls of Pirelli Pzero’s on another car, but the the tyres were about 5 years old and nowhere like yours (car was garaged)

If you are anywhere near Burton-on-Trent it might be worth calling in at the Pirelli performance centre to get there opinion.

I only use Michelin now for performance tyres.
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2021, 13:37 »
Funny enough JMS I have this morning, and have already had contact back from them to say they are going to show them to their engineer. I don't expect of course they will be replacing 3½ year old tyres with 20k miles on them for free, but I wonder if they will give a substantial discount if they feel it is a manufacturing defect.

If they are anything like VW though, it will be weeks or waiting then a flat NO  :D

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2021, 19:53 »
My interpretation of that response would be the person who saw the pics agrees it doesn’t look normal. Fingers crossed for a goodwill gesture!
Previous Dubs now sold:

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2021, 19:57 »
This might give you some hope, although they are Nokians
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/447238-cracked-tyres/
Previous Dubs now sold: