Author Topic: Jump Start Leads wrong way! Now no stereo  (Read 1924 times)

Offline kiani

• Just got here
Jump Start Leads wrong way! Now no stereo
« on: 15 November 2021, 13:05 »
Hi All,

Hope everyone is well. So my sister has a GTi and last week she had to jump start and connected the leads the wrong way round! Initially after jump starting the correct way, it would start and then died after a few mins. We assumed alternator , got it changed but did the same. Then realised the 200amp Megafuse had blown. So replaced that, charged the battery and seemed to have work. However, every now and then, the battery dies again so have to jump start. The battery indicator light is green to show its all ok.

Also, the stereo isn't working now. It's a crappy Dynavin head unit, checked the fuse in the rear of the unit , changed that as it was blown, but still no power? I can't make head or tails of the interior fuses? They all seem to be fine.

Just wondered, hoped some had some pointers?

Many thanks

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Jump Start Leads wrong way! Now no stereo
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2021, 18:09 »
The fact your sister had to jump start would indicate the better was on it’s way out anyway unless she’d left something on that would drain it. Have you tested the battery health with a multi-meter?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline kiani

• Just got here
Re: Jump Start Leads wrong way! Now no stereo
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2021, 11:19 »
The fact your sister had to jump start would indicate the better was on it’s way out anyway unless she’d left something on that would drain it. Have you tested the battery health with a multi-meter?

She'd been away for a few months and not driven the vehicle hence it needing jump starting. We did charge it up fully, but will check it with a multi meter.