Author Topic: Garaging a wet car  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Garaging a wet car
« on: 10 November 2021, 13:20 »
Hi all, this is the first car I have garaged (both to protect and keep it secure) I've protected the paintwork with a wax (Bilt Hamber double speed wax) which beads really well even after a month or two.

The main query really is what peoples thoughts are on garaging a wet car? Obviously as we go into winter there are going to be more and more occasions when its wet when its put away. In my head I think its ok but just wondered what your thoughts are?
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Garaging a wet car
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2021, 13:58 »
I’ve garaged my cars for over 40 years and they’ve never taken any harm when I’ve put them away wet, although they’ve never been left in the garage in a wet state for days on end - probably a day or so at most. So if you’ll be using your car frequently / on a daily basis I’d say it should be fine.

One of the big upsides of garaging - especially during the winter months - is that you’ll not be faced with the prospect of scraping ice off the windows, or waiting ages for condensation on the insides of the windows to clear before you can drive away. Also, a car in the garage means it’s not on full view of would-be perpetrators who might be tempted to help themselves to your pride and joy.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2021, 14:26 »
The only thing to be careful of when garaging a wet car is that rear brakes tend to bind on as the discs dry out and can get a light coating of rust  particularly when roads have been salted. I leave my parking brake off and just leave the car in gear to stop the binding.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2021, 14:30 »
The only thing to be careful of when garaging a wet car is that rear brakes tend to bind on as the discs dry out and can get a light coating of rust  particularly when roads have been salted. I leave my parking brake off and just leave the car in gear to stop the binding.

Good advice - I do this too.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2021, 09:19 »
Thanks everyone, I have noticed the brake binding issue, I'll have a play but I think the parking brake comes on automatically on mine though I could be wrong
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver