Author Topic: Hi - Using the forum for my wife's GTI Mk8  (Read 615 times)

Offline ShropshireKen_GTI_Mk8

• Not said much yet
Hi - Using the forum for my wife's GTI Mk8
« on: 02 November 2021, 17:21 »
This is the 4th Golf GTI that my wife is now driving. First one with DSG gearbox; had a Mk5 as the first one followed by two Mk7 models - all manual.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Hi - Using the forum for my wife's GTI Mk8
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2021, 17:47 »
Welcome Ken and Mrs Ken  :smiley:
What do you (both) think of the mk8 after the others?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ShropshireKen_GTI_Mk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2021, 09:34 »
Thanks for the warm welcome to me and my wife Pam.
Pam is just getting used to driving an automatic car whereas I have driven automatics and really like them.
Enjoying the Mk8 GTI and we have already experienced a better ride and handling over the Mk7. Current gripes are probably software related (on version 1666) and include Keyless entry not working consistently and unnecessary messages pinging on screen - such as lane assist when we are driving round our local 'B' roads the system warns us that it cannot support the lane assist feature - every time! Will look into suppressing this 'feature'. The stop/start feature is also a nuisance so I have had to set it off when I remember to dive into the vehicle menu (the Mk 7 just had a simple on/off button alongside the gear stick housing).
No doubt we are not alone in criticising the software and will look at the Mk8 topics in this forum.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2021, 06:00 »
I’ve seen your thread on the software and most things are answered in there.
The stop start doesn’t bother me in the slightest but a lot of people dislike it.
Lane Assist however drives me nuts and is a mandatory “always on” feature on all new cars, but at least it’s easy to switch out on each ignition cycle using what we labelled the Brocky Method (left stalk tip press then ok on the R/H steering wheel pad). Like yourselves I drive a lot of rural roads and it’s a constant battle with lane assist when it’s activated.
I don’t use keyless as I find it annoying at times and having spent 30 odd years driving using a key and/or key fob it doesn’t bother me fishing a key out of my pocket, but I can sympathise with ladies who carry handbags having to dig through hundreds of essential items in their bags to retrieve the offending car key! Besides, if a feature is fitted to a car you would at least expect it to work properly.
You are far far from alone in criticism of certain features and faults with these cars. It’s not really what we’d expect from VW. The random messages and bongs from the sporadic dashboard warnings do seem to lessen over time for some strange reason.
I hope Pam soon settles down to life with an auto-box. Maybe her next car will be electric and the DSG is good practice as we head towards a future with no gearboxes at all.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner