Author Topic: You don’t fancy an 8R?  (Read 16731 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: You don’t fancy an 8R?
« Reply #50 on: 19 November 2021, 11:54 »
Company cars are a mugs game now unless you want an electric one.

Either take the cash or go with the milk float. Personally, I'd go with the milk float.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 19 November 2021, 16:10 »

I know the MK 6 will have its limitations in comparison to the TCR across the board, but my mileage is likely to drop quite a bit and actually thinking that it be nice to step back in time to a really clean buy, before we all have to submit to the EV world and smart interiors.

Those are crazy prices, I think know that's how that worked.

But if you think your miles will drop and you want to step back in time a bit, maybe a nice 6 cylinder is the key to your problem? Get a gun holster and a green Mustang and you can be Bullitt  :wink: :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #52 on: 19 November 2021, 21:33 »
Company cars are a mugs game now unless you want an electric one.

Either take the cash or go with the milk float. Personally, I'd go with the milk float.

If I were in receipt of any sort of company car benefits that’s exactly the way I’d be looking right now too.
There are some decent ICE hot hatches around right now but none that will pull on any heartstrings and none that are worth waiting 12 months for, and they’re getting silly expensive.

I’d be taking a shortish term lease if possible of something electric and quick, VAG group blinkers removed as this is one game they don’t lead. A short lease in case I either didn’t gel with it or something sexier appeared on the market as it’s still early days for BEVs.

If the rocket ship milk float was practically free and also cost bugger all to ‘fuel’ I’d maybe then be looking at something cheapish and fun as a weekend car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 20 November 2021, 13:25 »
Going back in time is not to be overlooked. OK, things have moved on a bit, but the cars that were great 10-15 years ago are still great now.

My son has a 2009 Scirocco 2.0TSI. It's a nice spec, rare colour and is pretty tidy. It's done 130k now. He's had it a year, done 12k miles and it's been faultless. Once you can get past the fact that it's not 100% perfect (like we'd like to think our new cars are) it makes for very affordable, enjoyable motoring. Allow a bit extra for xenons and a radio with app connect (really easy to swap in older cars) and it will do almost everything the new ones will.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 21 November 2021, 22:31 »
Funnily enough your Scirocco acquisition was the first thing I thought of when purchasing an older car to run was discussed a few pages back.
To my eyes a decent Scirocco would be a more attractive proposition than a Golf GTI/R/R32 as despite its age it would at least feel a little more special

I certainly know for sure if there was any way I could access my company pension right now I’d take it in a heartbeat, cash in on the decent price of my Golf at present, buy a tidy Scirocco and take a couple years out living cheaply but making the most of life itself.

I’m not wearing rose tinted specs either as a friend of mine has an ageing mk5 GTI as a highish mileage daily driver and it does require a fair bit of time and money constantly spent on it to keep it in full health.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Dervy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #55 on: 11 December 2021, 21:24 »
I had a Mk6 GTD for 4 years, followed by a Mk7 GTD which had for another 4 years. I currently have a Mk7.5 Golf R which is probably the best car I have ever owned, but after 4.5 years I'm ready for a change.Unfortunately, the Mk8 Golf R does nothing for me. Whilst I know this is a purely personal thing, it seems to me that the outside and the interior are not a patch on my existing car. I specced a Mk8 8 R, out of interest and it was just shy of 50k (yes, i know there are discounts), but it just didn't do i for me. On 16 August i ordered a carbon black RS3 saloon and I now have a confirmed bill week of week 2 next year. Better tell the wife soon I suppose!

Offline Dervy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #56 on: 11 December 2021, 21:26 »
by the way, not sure what "the demographic" is for an RS3 - but I'm approaching 61!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 12 December 2021, 18:37 »
Bearing in mind the average age of an RS3 Sportback owner is 36 and the average age of an A3 saloon driver is 86 I’d say you were bang on the demographic for your car there Dervy  :laugh:

Only joking of course. I think both the hatch and saloon RS3’s look fantastic and I’d far rather pump £56k into one of those than nearly £50k into a bloody Golf. It’s all gone a bit mad price wise for me but…

The RS3 is a very respectable car, so probably (just like the Golf R) has a wide ranging demographic.

What colour and spec have you gone for?
Please please drop back here and tell us how it compares to your long history of Golfs. There are plenty of us here who would love to hear your thoughts next year.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 12 December 2021, 20:29 »
I had a Mk6 GTD for 4 years, followed by a Mk7 GTD which had for another 4 years. I currently have a Mk7.5 Golf R which is probably the best car I have ever owned, but after 4.5 years I'm ready for a change.Unfortunately, the Mk8 Golf R does nothing for me. Whilst I know this is a purely personal thing, it seems to me that the outside and the interior are not a patch on my existing car. I specced a Mk8 8 R, out of interest and it was just shy of 50k (yes, i know there are discounts), but it just didn't do i for me. On 16 August i ordered a carbon black RS3 saloon and I now have a confirmed bill week of week 2 next year. Better tell the wife soon I suppose!

I was talking about the RS3 yesterday and how it's just an exceptional car which goes against the grain of all other cars currently, it's very much a Mk4/5 R32 of current times. I'd imagine it was a very hard decision between saloon and sportback.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Dervy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #59 on: 12 December 2021, 21:49 »
i’ve gone for a carbon black saloon with the comfort and sound pack ( purely for the B and O system). i plumped for kemora grey as it look’s good with  the black, is lower maintenance than the lapiz blue of my golf…..and it’s an RS exclusive and a no cost option! i initially ordered the sportback, but on the carbon black it gives you a huge (age inappropriate ) roof spoiler- the saloon seemed less in your face and just gets a black roof. i also went for a 5 year warranty- paid dividends on my R. Plucked up the courage, told my wife and she seems ok, but i’m sleeping with one eye open just in case. glad i put my order in on 16 August as the new price is £4k more.