Author Topic: Hot start up rattle  (Read 1128 times)

Offline weejockvw

• Not said much yet
Hot start up rattle
« on: 06 October 2021, 23:01 »
In the last week I’ve noticed a rattle on hot start up this is what happens I start car in the morning sound ok run car to work about 10 miles let it sit for 30 minutes and start it there is a rattle for about one or two second If I turn of engine and start it straight away no rattle leave it 30 minutes and start it the rattle is back there is on fault codes car runs well anyone had this problem
The car is a 2010 GTI I’ve had it since it was a year old had the timing chain done by VW at 35000 mile the car now has 74000 on it

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Hot start up rattle
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2021, 08:52 »
Not had this issue myself and I am on 88000. Just a suggestion but could it be an oil pressure problem? OK when cold and oil more viscous but warm oil is thinner so takes a few seconds to circulate to valve gear. After leaving for a while oil drains but still warm and thinner so takes a few seconds to circulate again. Might be worth exploring if there is a non-return oil valve, grade of oil used and oil filter? Other forum members are probably more knowledgeable than me.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline weejockvw

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2021, 20:46 »
That’s for you reply never thought of that.  I’ve changed  the oil about 200 miles ago when first noticed it I’ve look for info online about it but can’t find anything may have a word with VW

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2021, 09:49 »
Could be a number of things.
Best bet is get someone else to start the car and stick your head under the bonnet and see if you can locate were there sound is the loudest.
Try nearest the cam chain and variable valve timing gear first. Then work your way across.
There is a silly metal grill filter near the Cambridge that can fail and cause issues so I would start listening round there first.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2021, 11:31 »
Might be worth getting an oil pressure gauge connected to the oil pressure sensor outlet to test pressure if you think that might be the issue before stripping things down.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.