Author Topic: Engine Coolant Level  (Read 3567 times)

Offline paulovader

• Just got here
Engine Coolant Level
« on: 01 November 2021, 08:39 »
My first post to the group and am the owner of a 2016 yr. GTI Performance.

Have noticed that my engine coolant has dropped below the minimum line but no warning light on as yet.

Spoke to a local garage who advised me about the issue on Golfs where the pump leaks and needs replacing at a cost of around £700.

My car is under warranty so have booked it in with VW but that’s not until the end of the month.

Read a few things about using different coolant when topping up so just wondering what to do ? Or do I just use distilled water to top up to see me through to month end ?

Cheers all.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
Re: Engine Coolant Level
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2022, 22:27 »
My first post to the group and am the owner of a 2016 yr. GTI Performance.

Have noticed that my engine coolant has dropped below the minimum line but no warning light on as yet.

Spoke to a local garage who advised me about the issue on Golfs where the pump leaks and needs replacing at a cost of around £700.

My car is under warranty so have booked it in with VW but that’s not until the end of the month.

Read a few things about using different coolant when topping up so just wondering what to do ? Or do I just use distilled water to top up to see me through to month end ?

Cheers all.

Distilled water or G13 coolant may well be your thermostat housing that's leaking not the water pump.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Engine Coolant Level
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2022, 06:36 »
Also if the current expansion tank has ‘Mit Silikat’ written on it, ask the garage to replace it for one that hasn’t got the silica bag - they can sometimes split causing serious issues with the heater matrix blocking up. Only costs about £35 for a new tank.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.