Author Topic: What have you bought for your Mk8?  (Read 52780 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: What have you bought for your Mk8?
« Reply #130 on: 11 January 2022, 08:38 »
They (the Polo ones) look really good! Can’t believe they fit them to the Polo but not to its big brother.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #131 on: 11 January 2022, 11:19 »
They (the Polo ones) look really good! Can’t believe they fit them to the Polo but not to its big brother.
Looks like we’ve found a good OEM option for the Golf 8! Yes it is weird that the Polo, and even my Up GTI has them fitted as standard. Classic case of VW designers taking Golf buyers for granted I think, it’s happened for years with the mk7 too. If it weren’t for the OEM Polo work-around then I’d miss them in my new (3x as expensive) Golf. Such is life and such is VW!

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #132 on: 11 January 2022, 11:28 »
I asked a friend to look them up on EKTA. €119 each! That's Irish prices, so I'd guess approx £100 each in UK.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #133 on: 11 January 2022, 12:00 »
That is for a set of 2, for the front sills.

I can get for 175 euros for a pair, approx 145 GBP.

Or, you can wait to see the ones I am getting made from brushed 316 Grade Stainless Steel with GTI logo etched and painted in Tornado Red....?

Offline DB99

• Not said much yet
« Reply #134 on: 11 January 2022, 12:01 »
Some interesting work-arounds being discussed here. I have owned an Up GTI for nearly 3 years and I can’t see one of their GTI kick plates being the answer: the doors on the 3 door Up are loooong so I highly doubt them plates fitting within a Golf 8’s 5 door frame. Equally the 5 door Up plates will look stupidly out of place in terms of length.

Step in the facelifted Polo A0 GTI. As a result of some classic ill-judged equipment spec decisioning from VW, the Polo GTI gets the kick plates pictured below as STANDARD. Just how the Up GTI does.

Pros:
- Current Polo is similar in dimensions to Golf 8 and is 5 door only. I’m not sure on exact door sill measurements but being an MQB car it won’t be far away. It may even look made to measure when fitted.
- Facelifted Polo GTI gets the updated GTI font so there is continuity with Golf 8 GTI’s design, as the pic demonstrates.
- OEM VW quality can be trusted and they’d look well at home I think. That can’t be said for most of the ghastly aftermarket options.

Cons:
- OEM VW parts price premium
- While the pic is a screenshot from the online shop of a VW dealership group in Germany, it isn’t possible to order directly from these guys (extra postage admin caused by Brexit I think). So it’ll require a trip/call to your local VW dealer.
- I also don’t have an accurate part number so it may take a conversation with the parts manager to ensure the rights ones are ordered… unless anybody is a member of a Polo forum or someone has access to ETKA?

Discuss!

We are on the same vein here! I also spotted the Polo GTI ones, they are €89 each! (Confirmed with my VW dealer contact in Germany) I like the fact they are OEM and have the new GTI logo font. I'm just waiting on him to confirm there not illuminated as in the UK spec it says they are...if there not, we could be onto a nice little workaround here!

Apologies if this is the same as what you found, but see below...
https://shop.ahw-shop.de/original-vw-polo-6-2g-gti-facelift-einstiegsleisten-vorn-design-elox-alu-sport-dekor-leisten?c=7748

Happy to be the Guinea pig here and order some up to check if they'd work.....(Will have to speak sweetly to my local dealer to see if he would let me offer upto a Mk8 as mine is still waiting for a confirmed build date)

These are 480mm long and 36mm wide....

The cut out for the plastic kick plate on MK8 is just under 485mm long and about 27mm wide from a quick measurement.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #135 on: 11 January 2022, 14:00 »
Thanks. To clarify though, the Polo GTI cill plates mount onto the painted section of the cill, not the recessed area in the plastic moulding.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #136 on: 11 January 2022, 14:33 »
You can kinda see it on DB99's pic, the painted cill on the Golf has a very slight raised ridge, ie. its not completely flat, although having checked my own just now, its not that far off being flat.

If the Polo's cill plate doesn't account for that slight ridge (if the Polo doesn't have the same ridge), then it may not sit perfectly on the Golf's cill, but I reckon it would be damn close.

Apart from that, I can't see why they wouldn't work fine.

Someone with access to a Polo could compare the cills with those of a Golf. It doesn't need to be a GTI Polo.

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #137 on: 11 January 2022, 17:20 »
I have a Polo at my house! The Polo certainly doesn’t have the little ledge like Golf 8. So maybe they wouldn’t fit perfectly flush ☹️

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #138 on: 11 January 2022, 17:25 »
Would the adhesive foam tape on the cills not be enough to mean the small ledge won't cause an issue?

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #139 on: 11 January 2022, 18:47 »
I'd say they'd still work. The ledge is pretty shallow.

Only one way to know for sure....  :grin: