Author Topic: What have you bought for your Mk8?  (Read 52435 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: What have you bought for your Mk8?
« Reply #100 on: 31 December 2021, 21:38 »
I have the RL gas strut too. Highly recommend it, it looks very OEM too. That’s my preference tbh, mods that look like they were factory fit.
I do have my eye on some nice sill plates from a guy in Germany, he’s active on Instagram…

https://www.mk8crew-shop.com/shop/vw---interior/einstiegsleisten-edelstahl-gebuerstet-door-sills-brushed-stainless-steel-1/
Ah thanks for that, I knew I'd seen some somewhere and spent some time this week trying to find them and you've just solved the mystery. I wonder if there will be an illuminated one, it's one of the subtleties from my current car that is a shame hasn't carried over to the MK8, these might have to do though.

Unfortunately I think illuminating them would be difficult, it’d definitely require some auto-electrical skills!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #101 on: 04 January 2022, 20:55 »
Can’t remember if it was in this chat or not but someone was mentioning boot liners as I was also looking for one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-GOLF-MK8-Plastic-Boot-Liner-for-vehicle-with-basic-floor-5H0061161A-/265484186434?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Genuine VW garage selling these for £14.99. Mentions basic luggage compartment but I can’t find anywhere on the internet that says it won’t fit a variable luggage compartment like my GTi. Anyway, for £14.99 it’s worth a punt and thought others might think so too. Normally £50-£60 for genuine one. Only 3 left. Watch someone tell me it won’t fit mine!
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #102 on: 05 January 2022, 09:19 »
Just been emailed by the VW garage selling the above. He says won’t fit a variable boot compartment like the GTi! Doh! The picture looks like it would fit the lower part.

Anyway he has issued a refund. I’m wondering if this actually true or someone has messed up on the pricing!
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #103 on: 08 January 2022, 10:39 »
I have the RL gas strut too. Highly recommend it, it looks very OEM too. That’s my preference tbh, mods that look like they were factory fit.
I do have my eye on some nice sill plates from a guy in Germany, he’s active on Instagram…

https://www.mk8crew-shop.com/shop/vw---interior/einstiegsleisten-edelstahl-gebuerstet-door-sills-brushed-stainless-steel-1/
Ah thanks for that, I knew I'd seen some somewhere and spent some time this week trying to find them and you've just solved the mystery. I wonder if there will be an illuminated one, it's one of the subtleties from my current car that is a shame hasn't carried over to the MK8, these might have to do though.

Has anyone fitted these to there Golf yet? I've just received some for my Edition 45 this morning,  opted for the '45' decal. Please post any pictures if you have fitted, I'm waiting for a build week on my Edition 45 still.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #104 on: 08 January 2022, 11:48 »
Mr Chapple at Volkswizard has done a step by step installation - looks like something even I could do!

https://youtu.be/a0z2RrHn2io
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #105 on: 08 January 2022, 12:41 »

Has anyone fitted these to there Golf yet? I've just received some for my Edition 45 this morning,  opted for the '45' decal. Please post any pictures if you have fitted, I'm waiting for a build week on my Edition 45 still.

Good choice! Have your fitted them yet? What’s the quality like?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #106 on: 09 January 2022, 07:32 »

Good choice! Have your fitted them yet? What’s the quality like?

Upon close inspection the quality is quite poor, not that impressed I'm afraid. The stickers arent mounted straight, sharp swarf on the edges of the plates and inconsistent cutout.

I'm running an UP GTI at the moment as a temporary until my Edition 45 arrives, I spotted the stainless steel sill protectors on this yesterday and had a brainwave that they may fit the Golf...Any comments from anyone? (Maybe if anyone had a Mk8 and I gave them the dims of the sill protector they could measure the sill to see if they'd fit?)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 09 January 2022, 07:56 »
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. That’s a real shame as they looked really good. I’ve got some cheap carbon type ones coming which are plain. I’ve sourced some Clubsport stickers to apply and I’ll see how they look. Shame I couldn’t find any 45 stickers.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #108 on: 09 January 2022, 08:43 »
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. That’s a real shame as they looked really good. I’ve got some cheap carbon type ones coming which are plain. I’ve sourced some Clubsport stickers to apply and I’ll see how they look. Shame I couldn’t find any 45 stickers.

I think I’d prefer the carbon type ones or a set black vinyl sill protectors. If the metal scuff plates happened to get scuffed, that’d not be good for my car OCD.

My last car came with black vinyl sill protectors from the factory and if they did occasionally get marked, a quick wipe over with some trim dressing soon restored them to an ‘as new’ state.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #109 on: 09 January 2022, 09:05 »

I think I’d prefer the carbon type ones or a set black vinyl sill protectors. If the metal scuff plates happened to get scuffed, that’d not be good for my car OCD.

My last car came with black vinyl sill protectors from the factory and if they did occasionally get marked, a quick wipe over with some trim dressing soon restored them to an ‘as new’ state.

They were only £19 so worth a gamble.