Author Topic: Clubsport order thread  (Read 108257 times)

Offline Verve34

• Not said much yet
Re: Clubsport order thread
« Reply #260 on: 04 December 2021, 09:02 »
tbh I think Golf sales have dwindled, pandemic/parts shortages aside. I don’t see many new MK8’s but I do see quite a lot of the ID’s and tons of Tiguans.

Second best selling car apparently???

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/new-cars/bestselling-cars-2021/

I wonder how they define "sold"

I find that very hard to believe  2nd best. I’ve seen apart from mine  1 maybe 2 clubsports  R’s about the same  and to be honest I haven’t seen many standard golf 8’s either
67 Polo GTI Reflex Silver
19 Polo GTI+ Black
70  Golf GTI Performance Pure White
21 Golf Clubsport Dolphin Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #261 on: 04 December 2021, 09:16 »
I don’t see the same volume of Golfs either compared to any previous gen. There’s only one local to me which is very unusual.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #262 on: 04 December 2021, 09:51 »
I don’t see the same volume of Golfs either compared to any previous gen. There’s only one local to me which is very unusual.

What with issues of Covid and semiconductor shortages, I dare say production volumes of the mk8 will be down - particularly this year - compared to a typical production year of previous generations of the Golf.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #263 on: 04 December 2021, 09:54 »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #264 on: 04 December 2021, 10:00 »
Leaving performance Golfs aside for a moment, my instinct is that VW have lost/ are losing much of their customer base that worked through the Mk5,6 and especially 7 days.
Crossovers rule and especially those with a price point below Golf and a standard equipment point above.
Might be wrong but I think for many “ordinary” owners, the Golf marriage is over.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #265 on: 04 December 2021, 10:19 »
You could be right about the Golf being less important to the market and vw. However that's understandable really when the twin pressures of electric and suv collide.

Both from vw and customer point of view, the golf is history in just over three years time for some markets.

That being said, SMMT data shows that the vw brand is still the most popular marque in the UK. And that's just vw, not vag group. Together they dominate the uk car market.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #266 on: 04 December 2021, 10:48 »
Leaving performance Golfs aside for a moment, my instinct is that VW have lost/ are losing much of their customer base that worked through the Mk5,6 and especially 7 days.
Crossovers rule and especially those with a price point below Golf and a standard equipment point above.
Might be wrong but I think for many “ordinary” owners, the Golf marriage is over.

That's true to some extent, but VAG as the whole company have solutions for most buyers and will happily sell you a non-Golf

Want a Golf? Here's a plain vanilla Golf
Want a faster Golf? GTI, GTE, GTD, Clubsport, R
Want a posher Golf - Audi A3
Want a posher faster Golf? S3 and RS3
Want a cheaper Golf - SEAT Leon
Want a cheaper faster Golf? Cupra Leon
Golf a bit cramped? - Have a Skoda Octavia
Want a small SUV instead? - Have a Golf based Tiguan, Q2, Q3, T-Roc, Karoq, etc instead
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #267 on: 04 December 2021, 12:20 »
Was out this morning and saw a couple of “regular” mk8s and and R Line plus one more in ZipCar livery.

It’s not been a flood but think can say seeing more and more around, obviously nowhere near as many as mk7/7.5 6s or 5s though
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #268 on: 04 December 2021, 14:26 »
Maybe my problem is I find the Mk8 vanilla Golfs so bland that they don’t really stand out from the general crowd. So more are there but they just don’t register.
Even now, a vanilla 7/7.5 is a looker amongst the common herd.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #269 on: 05 December 2021, 22:32 »
Going by the number of mk8’s I see around I find it hard to believe it’s the second best seller nowadays unless leases don’t count or if they do then maybe VW have done some cracking deals to fleet buyers but haven’t delivered the huge number ordered yet.
I see very few mk8’s around of any type. Corsas yes, SUV’s yes, Teslas too.

Ok, production, or rather lack of, is going to affect the number of cars registered massively despite early to mid 2021 being a bumper year for dealers. Many sold maybe but not many delivered.
Mid-sized hatchbacks seem to have gone a bit out of fashion in general I think. I hardly see any new Focus (Foci?) models in general let alone ST’s, the latter I don’t recall seeing any. These things used to be everywhere alongside new Golfs.
I do see quite a lot of A Class but not so many very recently registered. 1 series seem quite popular but BMW generally have a quicker order to build turnaround anyway.

Let’s face it, the mk8 is pretty ugly, company car drivers will have mostly gone electric, older comservative Golf owners will be looking at SUV’s (eschewing the interior of the new Golf as too techy), plus the car has a bad name because of said tech being fiddly and unreliable. Not good news really.
The days of cheap lease GTD and R models are gone, plus the tax benefits of electric cars will tempt company buyers and leasers. SUV’s are trendy and it’s much easier to stick a huge battery under the floor than elsewhere so electric SUV’s are easy meat for manufacturers to design and build in huge numbers.

Maybe for us more driver focussed model owners it’s not such bad news. Look at the USA, nobody buys Golfs over there except enthusiasts who want GTI and R’s so that’s all they sell over there now.
Remember VW saying they expected 20% of mk8 Golfs to be R’s? That’s because performance Golf buyers want a specific type of car and normal buyers want other things now. Golf sales will wane and ID’s will rise but there’s not a proper alternative to the petrol hot hatch just yet and being as the chassis and complicated bits of body-shell are long since developed being mk7 based they can afford to build Golfs in lower volumes as development costs are less. The tech is shared with other models and the interior is simpler and cheaper so it doesn’t cost VW a fortune to build a GTD/GTI/R but going by the lack of new members here compared to other generations after launch I doubt the GTI demand is huge. Maybe R’s still sell in much larger volumes. Who knows, as 2030 draws nearer maybe Europe will be more like the USA for Golf sales and we will only be offered performance models for die hard enthusiasts with other models being totally discontinued in favour of BEV’s. We’ll be like those old guys that mourned the passing of the MGB GT’s when the GTI was in its first throws of youth back in the late 70’s and 80’s. The world moves on and VW themselves were architects of the demise of Golfs with Dieselgate.
Still, if the Golf slowly becomes a low volume enthusiast model it might allow the engineers some head on the Ed50 design, unless the Ed45 becomes the Ed50 after the production hold ups, don’t hold your breath lads and lasses  :whistle:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner