Author Topic: Map Updates  (Read 12429 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Map Updates
« Reply #40 on: 06 July 2021, 12:53 »
Ive just tried to update a Discovery Pro unit in a 2016 Golf R and it just says no data found/insert valid media or something like that.

Ive downloaded the Discover Pro file, unzipped direct to SD card using 7zip??

I now have a folder named P192 blah blah, with 3 files contained within MIB1, MIB2 and meta info??

Unsure how to proceed now as i dont know what im doing wrong??
« Last Edit: 06 July 2021, 12:59 by madstaff »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 06 July 2021, 13:13 »
You and me madstaff. I've beentrying to do this for a couple of hours now. Downloaded bundle 2 and unzipped it, emptied my SD card but for some reason everytime I try to copy the new maps onto the card it fails. Driving me a bit potty. And of course I'm now in the position of not being able to restore the old data either.....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 06 July 2021, 14:31 »
Ditto.  :angry:
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #43 on: 06 July 2021, 15:22 »
You and me madstaff. I've beentrying to do this for a couple of hours now. Downloaded bundle 2 and unzipped it, emptied my SD card but for some reason everytime I try to copy the new maps onto the card it fails. Driving me a bit potty. And of course I'm now in the position of not being able to restore the old data either.....

Did you reformat the card?

I downloaded bundle 2 and unzipped it. I then copied the old folder from the SD card to my laptop (just in case it was needed) and reformatted the SD card. I then copied the new folder onto the SD card.

This is on a mk7.5 with Discovery Media.

I've never had any luck using Discover Care, crashes each time, so just do the above for any updates.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 06 July 2021, 15:24 »
Android Auto ftw

Just being silly, I will update mine at some point (never done it before). However, you guys are making it seem difficult for what should be just copying files to a card (not blaming you, I mean the process should be simple but it appears it isn't)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 06 July 2021, 15:34 »

Did you reformat the card?

I downloaded bundle 2 and unzipped it. I then copied the old folder from the SD card to my laptop (just in case it was needed) and reformatted the SD card. I then copied the new folder onto the SD card.

This is on a mk7.5 with Discovery Media.

I've never had any luck using Discover Care, crashes each time, so just do the above for any updates.

Exactly what I'm doing but it gets started then comes up with an error code, 'semaphore errors'. Googled it and there are so many different potential fixes, tried some of the easier ones to no avail. The more complex ones are beyond me.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 06 July 2021, 16:32 »
I have updated my maps successfully several times before. I am not sure what is going wrong but I have reformatted the SD using quick and full formats, downloaded bundle 2, unzipped them to desktop (7.7Gb) and copied back to the SD card. When I reinsert the card into slot 2 and the car tries to read it  I get a message telling me the SD card cannot be found. I’ll try again. My car is a 7.5 with Discover. Media,  too. If I am being stupid in this somebody please help.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 06 July 2021, 16:35 »
Discover Pro, so I downloaded bundle 1, reformatted a brand new Samsung SD card, unzipped direct to the SD card and I get "cant read media error" or something like that.

Proving a bit troublesome for what is effectively copying a couple of files to an SD card.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 06 July 2021, 16:49 »
I'm giving up now, I'm now nav-less and pissed off at having wasted most of a day off with this nonsense. There's just something wrong with the SD card slot on my OH's computer I think, I could copy the files to another folder on the laptop drive no problem. I may just have to buy a card already loaded. V14 bundle 1 32gb cards on ebay for £39.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 06 July 2021, 17:13 »
Seems to be quite an effort to update the maps so think I will give it a miss at the moment. The latest updates were created in February 2021 so took a while to get on VW website.

I think the reason that only vw cards can be used on discover media is that every card has a unique number (CID) that contains manufacturer info and various other bits of information and cannot be changed - similar to a credit card to identify fraud. Not sure what info is used to match the sat nav to a VW card - must be some form of product ID. Might go back at some other time to see if I can identify the data match used but not this week!!
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.