Poll

Do you have, or do you plan to get an extended warranty?

Yes, with VW
15 (42.9%)
Yes, with a third-party warranty provider
3 (8.6%)
No, they're not worth it / I like living dangerously
11 (31.4%)
I'm undecided
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Extended warranty, yay or nay?  (Read 6786 times)

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
Extended warranty, yay or nay?
« on: 07 October 2020, 15:32 »
My car turns 3 next month and I've been wondering what's the latest consensus is on extended warranties.

From what I've seen and heard the Mk7 has proved to be pretty reliable with few reported catastrophic or expensive failures. On the other hand, there are still some potential for huge bills, DSGs still crap out occasionally, water pump issues haven't fully gone away and replacing a headlamp, turbo or infotainment head unit would be pretty expensive too.

FWIW VW have quoted me £187.95/yr for named component cover, £230.43 for all component. That's for a car with 19k on the clock, doing <10k miles/year with a £250 excess.

2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Extended warranty, yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2020, 15:40 »
Obviously read the policy brochure first, as even the all component cover has some exclusions. But at less than £5 per week I would just get on with it. It wouldn't take a big issue to come up and cost more than that. I recall on my Mk5 a replacement bonnet catch was over £100 fitted.
7.5 GTD

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2020, 15:41 »
Hey Karlos, I was wondering exactly the same thing for my GTD as i'm in the same boat with original warranty running out next month.... spooky :smiley:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2020, 15:46 »
Def worth havign if you're thinking of selling privately, gives the buyer some piece of mind.

Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2020, 16:08 »
The voting options needs an undecided option :whistle:

Given how awkward and obstinate VW can be with even obvious warranty claims, is going with them for an extended warranty a good idea?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2020, 17:06 »
The voting options needs an undecided option :whistle:

Done  :cool:

2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2020, 17:21 »

Given how awkward and obstinate VW can be with even obvious warranty claims, is going with them for an extended warranty a good idea?

Reading the policy wording, it doesn't look like there's any such thing as an obvious warranty claim. Wriggle room everywhere you look. But having said that, I expect most aftermarket warranties will be similar. The important thing is to avoid any gaps between coverage.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2020, 17:51 »
VW’s extended warranty seems to be quite popular over on VWROC.com with R owners. I can’t recall reading over on that forum of any instances where a legitimate claim has been declined.

These extended warranty products are effectively an insurance product providing cover for sudden and unforeseen electrical and mechanical failure, and as with all insurance products, there’ll be exclusions. As @Guzzle says, read the policy booklet so you know what the extent of the cover is and what’s excluded. Anyone with a modified car would need to look elsewhere for cover though as VW’s product excludes cars modified from VW’s specification (presumably the factory spec). Interesting to see on VW’s website that the warranty is underwritten by Volkswagen Versicherung AG and not a third party insurer.

If I was considering buying an extended warranty, given the choice of a third party warranty from the likes of Warrantywise or Warranty Direct or VW’s own product, I’d go for the VW product.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2020, 22:14 »
My GTI turns 3 early next year, and coincidentally I was thinking about extended warranties just the other day. Did you approach VW for a quote or did they write to you ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2020, 22:21 »
You can ask for a quote on VW's website

https://insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/extended-warranty
7.5 GTD