Author Topic: Hello all, a few questions  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Foxspeed

• Just got here
Hello all, a few questions
« on: 19 November 2019, 05:14 »
Hi everyone, I am about to buy my first Golf GTD tonight and would like to know if there's anything I should particularly look out for? The car is a 2017 (66) reg with nearly 86k miles and one owner. I dare say it will have been a company car.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to being an active member of this very knowledgeable forum.

Foxspeed.

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
Re: Hello all, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2019, 12:36 »
That's a lot of miles in a short space of time, I hope that's reflected in the price because there is plenty about.
2016 GTD

Offline Foxspeed

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2019, 20:39 »
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I have been to see the car tonight and turned it down. It was from CarShop/Warrington and we were told it had certain amount of history including cambelt and DSG oil change. When we saw the service book, it showed just an oil change at 37k and nothing else. Add to that, it had covered an extra 400+ miles than advertised!
My thoughts were to by the 2017 (66) reg with 86k and it would hopefully hold some value as I would only be doing approx 5-6k a year!
Oh well, the search continues.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2019, 21:13 »
If you’re only going to be doing 5-6k miles a year, I think in your position I’d be considering a petrol engined car rather than a diesel, especially if those 5-6k miles included lots of short journeys.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Foxspeed

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2019, 21:25 »
Hi SRGTD, thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.
I understand what you are saying and been told the same thing by friends at work. For my budget and the spec that I want, the GTI will probably have over 100k miles as opposed to 50k+ on a diesel. I currently own an Audi A4 (B6 model) that I bought with 86k 12 years ago. Now has nearly 174k and still runs well.
Basically, I am looking for:-

2014-2017,
No more than 2 previous owners,
White / Grey / Black (in that order),
50k to 80k miles,
DSG transmission,
Decent service history,

Optional buying points would include:-

Leather interior,
Santiago wheels,
Dynaudio.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2019, 21:28 by Foxspeed »

Offline ben1987

• Not said much yet
  • Everyone wishes they were from Yorkshire.
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2019, 08:32 »
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I have been to see the car tonight and turned it down. It was from CarShop/Warrington and we were told it had certain amount of history including cambelt and DSG oil change. When we saw the service book, it showed just an oil change at 37k and nothing else. Add to that, it had covered an extra 400+ miles than advertised!
My thoughts were to by the 2017 (66) reg with 86k and it would hopefully hold some value as I would only be doing approx 5-6k a year!
Oh well, the search continues.

I echo SRGTD post. At 5-6k miles you’ll potentially rack up a hefty bill at the garage like I did when I had my Mk6. I bought my first diesel with 30k on it and did about 7k a year on it in the first year and I nearly killed it. DPF and EGR both blocked and cost me nearly four figures to put right. Just by coincidence the year after I had to do more mileage for my job and it was reet ever since. I bought a 19 plate golf GTD in September because I do 20k a year, had I being doing 7k again I’d of got a GTI.
Beat of luck in your search mate, I’m sure you’ll find the right car eventually.   

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2019, 09:20 »
I went from 2 MK7 GTD's to my current GTI in May last year. As brilliant as the GTD's are, they are really primarily suited to long distance cruising, and it's only then I ever got my really good MPG (although to be fair it averaged just over 42 mpg for it's life time).

My GTI has now covered 11k miles in 18 months and I still absolutely love it. It's averaging 35mpg over the same "to work and back" journeys as the GTD, and last year when I went to London, over it's 418 miles trip, it averaged a quite incredible 49.7mpg (calculated on refill to an actual 49.6mpg). So the GTI can be a very frugal car as well, and it's costing me no more than £20-25 per month in fuel (and I always use Tesco Momentum 99 - which is dearer than standard diesel). Weirdly, insurance on the GTI was £65 cheaper than the GTD ???

Biggest thing for me though, is the smoothness, the GTD's are still pretty good but the petrol engined GTI's take it to another level, and the fact that on my 8 mile journey to work, in winter my GTD's would only just be at normal operating temperature by the time I got to work, whereas the GTI (even in mid winter) takes less than a mile to reach normal temperature (Oil temperature a little longer).

If your mileage is really as little as you state, my vote would deffo be for a petrol. If you can't afford a GTI, then a GT with the 1.5 150ps Petrol is still a very decent and quick motor (my wife has that engine in her Polo Blue GT and it's a cracker too).
« Last Edit: 26 November 2019, 09:22 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras