Author Topic: 150 TDI owners stand up and be counted!  (Read 12429 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
150 TDI owners stand up and be counted!
« on: 15 February 2015, 15:32 »
The GTD (perhaps unsurprisingly) gets all the limelight over here on this forum but there must be 150TDI owners knocking about.
How many of you have modified your car in some way? Just out of interest.
I drove a 150 TDI Scirocco a few months back and was impressed by the economy of the engine but it didn't quite have the torque to accelerate up a steep hill in top gear like some of the more powerful 2.0 TDI's but this was a very low mileage car and I'd expect it to loosen up a fair bit.
Hopefully with the advent of the R Line in the UK we will get more 150 TDI owners on here, I know it's a popular model with Leon owners.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: 150 TDI owners stand up and be counted!
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2015, 17:17 »
I think residuals are what put bums in GTDs rather than 150TDI GT/R-Line. You can get a GTD for £5 a month more than a GT on PCP due to the better residuals, and it's got so much more going for it for the extra £5 a month.

Having been in a Skoda Superb 140TDI for the best part of a week, I remembered the major difference between the 140/150TDI and the 170/177/184TDI - upper gear grunt. In 1st/2nd/3rd, both engines feel similar from 0 to 50mph when you put your foot down, but the 184ps engine feels as if it has as much pull in 6th as the 140/150 has in 4th.

Welcome to any 150TDIers.  :smiley:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2015, 22:17 »
The 150PS version is fast enough, even my estate it's good for 140mph  :whistle:

Having said that looking at the 184PS version with DSG in my next car if it works out ok financially. ;)
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline logeyboy

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2015, 08:34 »
I've got a 150 in GT Guise. It's a company car and I chose this over the GTD for a number of reasons.
The GTD was going to cost me approx £90 extra a month.
The GTD needing speccing up a bit for sat nav etc.
Quite happy with the performance so far.  It's a tool for my job at the end of the day and any extra money I pay is lost and I just get a new motor after 4 years.
Just seen the R-Line and would have plumped for this had it been available.

The GTD does look slightly better. My wife saw one at the weekend and remarked how nice it was.
I do get the option to buy it after 4 years, if the price is right, I'll do this and give it to my wife and stick a DTUK box on it.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2015, 11:33 »
Good to hear there are a few 150 drivers here hiding in the wings!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2015, 11:38 »
I think residuals are what put bums in GTDs rather than 150TDI GT/R-Line. You can get a GTD for £5 a month more than a GT on PCP due to the better residuals, and it's got so much more going for it for the extra £5 a month.

That will be a case for people that 'rent' new cars, but lower residuals on the 150 GT/R Line models will mean they will make a cracking buy at a year old. That's when I'll be buying mine, providing I can find one with xenons.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2015, 11:48 »

That will be a case for people that 'rent' new cars, but lower residuals on the 150 GT/R Line models will mean they will make a cracking buy at a year old. That's when I'll be buying mine, providing I can find one with xenons.
I wonder what the take-up on xenons is for those that spec them on non GTI/D/R models? Pretty darn low I bet.
When I bought my first mk6 there was a lady picking up a silver 09 plate (brand new) TDI 140 with xenons.
Assuming most GT's are bought as company cars or leased I bet the xenon take-up is low.
I'm hoping that with the advent of the electric Golfs that LED lights will gradually become standard across the range like with Leons.
The must surely be cheaper to produce than Xenons and as the amount VW orders gradually increases surely the price of them will tumble...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2015, 13:03 »
The must surely be cheaper to produce than Xenons and as the amount VW orders gradually increases surely the price of them will tumble...

Like Satnav.  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2015, 15:07 »
I wonder what the take-up on xenons is for those that spec them on non GTI/D/R models? Pretty darn low I bet.

My previous two (non-VW) company cars, I spec'ed Xenons. After I had them the first time, anything else is like trying to see with the lit end of a ciggie...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2019, 20:47 »
Hi
I bought a 2016 GT TDI bluemotion yesterday,  brilliant car with plenty of grunt for my needs.  Love the DSG box and the upgraded alloys that suit the car so well
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.