Author Topic: HOW TO: Main beam bulb in instrument binnacle  (Read 24063 times)

Offline muttley

• Not said much yet
HOW TO: Main beam bulb in instrument binnacle
« on: 06 February 2010, 09:13 »
I'm after a bit of advice, I took the clocks out and replaced all 3 bulbs as one of them had blown, got them from the stealer and they've only got 80 or so left in the UK. I also got a replacement main beam bulb for the display along with the blue cover as mine doesn't work. I thought that this might be a bit involved and when I saw the back of the display I bottled taking it all apart with the 19 year old ribbon connections etc.

So is there as easy way to do it to avoid damaging what are now (apart from the non functioning main beam indicator) perfect instruments? I am tempted to get hold of a second instrument panel to practice on but if there's some knowledge her then I might not have to bother.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2010, 13:34 by Agreeable Slick »

Offline jezza16v

• I live here
Re: Main beam bulb in instrument binnacle
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2010, 20:37 »
I think you can do it without messing too much with the blue circuit, you just have to take the bulbs out of the top and it folds back and then you remove the front black plastic/glass bezel to reveal the LEDs, you can't get at them from the back. I have the bit in front of me now with the LED and it seems to me that you will have to break off the black plastic surround that holds the LEDs as it is heat fixed, I say LED because they all look like LED but I've read that the blue one is a bulb, anyway I'm going to break this one off now and have a look (its a pre 89 twin plug unit) ........................ Yay, the blue one is a tiny bulb with a blue cap. The black cover pinged off ok...........and actually clips back on without heat or glue.........so there you go!

And for reference: (You don't have to take the clocks out of course)

:smiley:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2010, 20:47 »
Sorry to hijack this thread...

But is it possable to exchange the MFA display from one unit to another?

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline jezza16v

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2010, 21:42 »
Well, let's have a go........

Remove three screws and release clip on RHS

You have to pull a bit to get all those pins out

Undo two small screws, one above & one below the integrated circuit

And, hey presto!

Yes you can.......but I would be concerned that if you have a display issue it may well be in that integrated circuit rather than the display module. I suppose you could replace the whole of the green circuit board but I think it does other stuff like the rev counter so you've got to be sure its all working....best really to change the whole clock set and just swap the speedo over if you want to keep the mileage correct.

PS......I'm a bit bored this evening!  :rolleyes:

Offline jezza16v

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2010, 08:16 »
Mate that is absolutely top stuff !!

I am presuming that the bulb just pulls out for replacement but hell, I'm practically asking you to replace it with that comment so I'll find out when I've got a day off next, probably Wednesday, I'll post how it goes.

Thanks again. :smiley:

Yes, it just pulls out, two prongs on the back, just have to be careful when you put the new one back in that you don't bend them.
Best of luck with it.   :smiley:

Offline midz16v

• GTI forum regular
Re: HOW TO: Main beam bulb in instrument binnacle
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2010, 15:33 »
My main beam light doesnt work either,when u get the clocks out what do i have to take off to get to the blue light to change it?
cheers
martin

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2010, 17:29 »
Just changed my MFA display & speedo on a new set of clocks after the last one failed....

Made so much easier by this thread....

Great Advice... Many Thanks!!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline jezza16v

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2010, 16:31 »
My main beam light doesnt work either,when u get the clocks out what do i have to take off to get to the blue light to change it?
cheers
martin

You have to separate the front black plastic bezel and glass from the white plastic back bit, 6 or 8 screws iirc, take note of the washer locations, then unplug the top two bulbs and fold back gently the blue printed circuit, the plug/plugs at the bottom sort of slide out of slots. Once separated you can get to the bits in the pics above, although to do the MFA bit I think you have to pull the rev counter out as well to get the green circuit board out.

I'm not sure this procedure is the same on post 89 single plug clocks as I've never had those apart.

Offline midz16v

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2010, 11:12 »
cheers for your help,i have just done it and now have the blue light working for the 1st time in 4 years :grin:

Offline rowleyslims

• GTI forum regular
  • hakuna mutata
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2010, 15:55 »
when replacing what do you do when you put a new bulb in but it wont lights up.
ive rotated it numerous time but to no avail.
any ideas?
the left bulb worked but the right was out. went to replace now neither work but the clock's light does. im guessing its a bad connection thats causing them to not work. any advise on getting them in properly???? its been frusterating hahaha  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: