Author Topic: cняis's orange mk2 VR6 - Dash out P.42  (Read 84793 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: cняis's orange mk2 VR6 - Dash out P.42
« Reply #440 on: 03 June 2011, 21:47 »
Good luck with the electrics. :smiley:

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #441 on: 04 June 2011, 12:23 »
Ouch! That does not look fun!  :shocked:

Glad to see you taking it by the balls and giving it a go! Good luck :afro:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #442 on: 05 June 2011, 13:36 »
Nice one Chris... I feel your pain with the elcetrics especially when alarms are involved!  Its so nice when you get it done now, you end up knowing a hell of a lot more about them when you're done and future issues are much easier to resolve.  Good luck with it all.  Seems like you attacked it all at the right time looking at your old matrix.

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #443 on: 06 June 2011, 00:07 »
Nice one Chris... I feel your pain with the elcetrics especially when alarms are involved!  Its so nice when you get it done now, you end up knowing a hell of a lot more about them when you're done and future issues are much easier to resolve.  Good luck with it all.  Seems like you attacked it all at the right time looking at your old matrix.

Well the old matrix was causing the screen to mist up  :sick: plus it wasnt getting very hot.

Today I recovered the heater box flaps (air temp & face) with some carpet as I had no foam

Before:

After:

The cables and the sliding mechanisms got a good splatting of grease:

Speaking of cables, the feet vents were constantly blowing so I adjusted the cables accordingly. Took some figuring out  :laugh:

Still no more progress with the wiring, but the heater box c/w fresh new matrix will be refitted this week, and it all falls into place after that

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #444 on: 06 June 2011, 10:13 »
Nice one.... How far are you going with the electrics?  What's urgent?

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #445 on: 06 June 2011, 13:36 »

Nothing's urgent in the sense that it all works, but some of the connections especially fusebox end (with the VR6 loom integration) dont look great. Some wires are joined with chocolate blocks  :lipsrsealed:

The plan is to remove wires one by one and solder/heatshrink them properly  :smiley:

Oh and the fusebox seems to be getting about 10v so theres probably an earth issue, as the +ve feed gets a strong 12v (previously tested)

I know this is boring stuff but it needs doing  :sick:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #446 on: 06 June 2011, 13:44 »

Nothing's urgent in the sense that it all works, but some of the connections especially fusebox end (with the VR6 loom integration) dont look great. Some wires are joined with chocolate blocks  :lipsrsealed:

The plan is to remove wires one by one and solder/heatshrink them properly  :smiley:

Oh and the fusebox seems to be getting about 10v so theres probably an earth issue, as the +ve feed gets a strong 12v (previously tested)

Not boring at all, it's detail... i'd rather write/read stuff like this than "oooh iv'e just polished my car again and fitted a new sticker!"  :wink:

At least with mine it still runs on OEM stuff that in places I've upgraded when I replaced it all.  You have to be a bit more careful with the MK2 and VR6 wireing mixed together.  I would imagine looking stuff up and cross referencing it all can be a pain.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #447 on: 06 June 2011, 13:49 »

Not boring at all, it's detail... i'd rather write/read stuff like this than "oooh iv'e just polished my car again and fitted a new sticker!"  :wink:

At least with mine it still runs on OEM stuff that in places I've upgraded when I replaced it all.  You have to be a bit more careful with the MK2 and VR6 wireing mixed together.  I would imagine looking stuff up and cross referencing it all can be a pain.

To be fair later mk2s like mine are fairly easy to wire up, not a lot of splicing. But there are ways and means, and I think this wasnt done to perhaps my standards.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #448 on: 06 June 2011, 14:04 »
^^^^  Didn't know you had any?  :grin:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #449 on: 06 June 2011, 16:37 »

You must hate my thread then :grin:

Good progress Chris....rather you than me! :cool: