Author Topic: Smokeless Diesel  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Smokeless Diesel
« Reply #30 on: 22 June 2009, 12:25 »
All I ever seem to read about is how amazing the car feels after a remap. Then, after a few months it's "I think my clutch has started to slip" or "my flywheel's buggered" or "I've got a boost leak somewhere", or "my crankshaft has melted"....it just doesn't seem worth it in the long run IMO. If the Golf was meant to be as is after a remap, it would've come out the showroom like it. Each to their own.

clutch will slip regardless of a remap or not - its a wear and tear item at the end of the day

camshaft is a known problem and happens on standard cars; Ridg hasn't had his car remapped and his camshaft melted  :sad:

boost leaks, again, can happen on standard cars

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 22 June 2009, 12:28 »
clutch will slip regardless of a remap or not - its a wear and tear item at the end of the day

camshaft is a known problem and happens on standard cars; Ridg hasn't had his car remapped and his camshaft melted 

All accelerated by a remap!

Powered by the fuel of satan!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #32 on: 22 June 2009, 12:30 »

camshaft is a known problem and happens on standard cars; Ridg hasn't had his car remapped and his camshaft melted 

All accelerated by a remap!

well yeah but even then these things can happen at any time at any mileage or they don't happen at all

you don't have to remap it but for what Nick charges you save a fair bit of cash to put towards the inevitable repairs  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #33 on: 22 June 2009, 13:17 »
If the Golf was meant to be as is after a remap, it would've come out the showroom like it.

Not true, cars have the ECU they have for varies reasons to do with fuel octane levels in different countries and not wanting to tread on the toes of other models such as the S3 to name a few. A MK4 is more than capable of handling the extra grunt a remap gives it.

I cant see us talking you into it which is cool, its your car after all.

Still a loser :D :D lol ;)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #34 on: 22 June 2009, 13:49 »
lol @ Alan  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 22 June 2009, 20:24 »
I have had no problems with my clutch and have done about 5k since my remap not had any other problems apart from a hose blowing off a couple days later which had also happened before the remap. Put a new clip on it been fine ever since.