Author Topic: what would you recomend???  (Read 721 times)

Offline JMJ 979Y

• Not said much yet
what would you recomend???
« on: 23 October 2006, 11:33 »
im lookin for a set of coilovers for my mk1

i want a comftable ride and the best performance for my budget.

the problem i have at the moment is that every bump i hit however small, crashes and bang's through the car and im finding it hard to live with, so i need to upgrade!!

and im abit lost  :sad: i need some advise to guide me in the world of coilovers, ive got around 800 pounds to spend, and i use the car for fast road use and occasional track days, but i want a good all round set up, and as i said up there, something comfy i cant stand it atm the ride is too hard!!!

thanks in advance

steve

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
Re: what would you recomend???
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2006, 12:25 »
I don't think comfortable ride & Mk1 golf go well in the same sentence really  :grin: its more a compromise of comfort/handling and more on the side of handling but with that budget you've got the pick of the bunch, I'd go for the H&R or FK myself - nice German build quality, fully adjustable and available in varying grades of shinyness.  you might even have change for some uprated rollbars and some new bushes (poly may not be a good idea if you want to keep comfort levels  :wink:)

What else have you done to it? got any pics  :smiley:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline JMJ 979Y

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2006, 10:03 »
here's a pic for u ......

right well ive investagated further into my hard ride situation and i have discovered that its due to a bit of a bodge by a previous owner!!!, looks like the it has only had a set of cheap springs fitted to it, and then after calling the guy who had it some years ago, he added that when the front wasnt low enough he heated the coils up to drop it further!!!  :rolleyes: so she is sitting on the bump stop's and this a caused the underseal in the engine bay to crack!!!! which is worrying me, so im gonna have to seek some professional advise soon.

but i have changed my idea on what todo now, i have ordered a 60mm adj spax suspension kit, and to complement this i have ordered new bump stops, poly top mounts, new roll bars with poly bushes, and lower strut brace,

i will have the inner arches checked and repaired if needed, then i need to find out wether a upper strut brace will fit over the 16v inlet mani??
« Last Edit: 24 October 2006, 11:04 by JMJ 979Y »

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2006, 16:20 »
Lookin nice  :cool:

:nerd: Get those inner arches looked at ASAP, I had to scrap a mk1 due to a lack of inner arches  :cry:   Is you're engine still sitting straight? mine had dropped about 3 inches on 1 side  :undecided:

:shocked: I've never heard of heating the coil springs before, what a bonkers idea  :laugh:, did you buy it off a Gippo, traded for a horse maybe  :grin: just kidding.

I've only ever read good things about spax kits so I think you're on the right track with them  :smiley:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline JMJ 979Y

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2006, 17:28 »
ive had it inspected looks like the its only the underseal around the turrets in the engine bay that have cracked, about 2-3inch's on each vertical side of the strut, and it looks like it hasnt gone to the metal, but im gonna have it all hooked out and welded if needed!

so i think ive been very lucky, the mechanic said its a good job this car only does a few miles a year!! or it would have been alot worse!!

everything is straight under the bay, so i think ive been fortunate, and ive had spax kits b4 on previous cars, so i think ill go for it, tbh i like the ride hight of my golf so i like the idea of a fixed drop vs coilovers lol.

ref: heating coil springs, suprised u havnt heard of that b4, classic bodgers job to cut coils off springs or heat them with blow torch untill they drop lol.

but its all good im gonna go see the previous owner of the car at his garage AM Autotech and im sure he will help me sort it all out and get her back ont he straight and narrow (he wasnt the guy who bodged the springs btw lol)
« Last Edit: 24 October 2006, 17:29 by JMJ 979Y »