Author Topic: Seeking Mk1 Enthusiasts in the Hampshire/Surrey/Berkshire Area  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Victorialou

• Not said much yet
Hi All,

I am looking for someone around the Camberley/Yately area who loves to tinkle around and knows their 'sh!t' mechanically with Mk1's. 
I do recall there was a few people living in the area but that was 10 months or so ago.

Anyway, to try and keep this brief I have an 82' GTi which has been sat on a friends driveway for 9 months taking a beating from the continuous british rain.  :cry:  Apparently, all the footwells are wet, the seats have mold on them (lovely) and engine will not jump start. 

Here are the facts:
The car has a solid roof with a basic flick up sunroof.
The car did not let in a drop of water when I drove it for several thousand miles through rain and when used jet washes.
I checked the front window/sunroof seals and all looked fine before I left the car in July last year.
Finally, my intentions was not to leave my beloved car, ungaraged for that long !!!

Anyway, I will be coming back from the states at the end of the month to fix/MOT and sell.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why all the water leakage?

So, I am wanting to get some phone numbers of people who are willing to take a look at it, give me some good, honest advice, earn some money and I can go on my happy merry way.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Victoria.

victoriajlou@aol.com

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
Hello,

Assuming all the door and window seals are still okay, I'd suggest having a look at your scuttle! From firsthand experience of wet footwells, check the following...

Water may be building up in the scuttle (the area below the windscreen where your wiper motor sits). If the drainage holes on either side are blocked the water will rise to a level until it finds some way of working it's way into the cabin. Bear in mind the scuttle area is not 100% watertight so the slightest gap will be enough for the water to escape. It will run down channels in the floorpan *under* the front carpets where it then gathers in a pool in the rear, soaking it from the underside, which is why the front carpets and the mat on top in the rear stays dry. Clever bit of design! If enough water gets in, it will start to soak the front carpets as well.

Peel back your front carpets and you'll see these channels. Be warned - it may smell! Recheck your door seals and make sure the door drainage holes on the bottom of the doors are clear, but I'd bet that the main culprit is the scuttle. I've since sprayed and sealed my scuttle so it shouldn't reoccur. It's a good idea to check the drainage points regularly though, especially in winter with leafs and cr*p flying about. Hope this helps.

Offline leancuisine

• Just got here
Why dont you try the mk1 golf owners club!  :wink:

www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk

good luck

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
I live in Yateley...........think I spoke to you on here a while back.
I'll pm you my phone numbers. 

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
I live in Yateley...........think I spoke to you on here a while back.
I'll pm you my phone numbers. 

You in good hands with Rich... if you need any help give me a yell.... just 20 mins away.  :smiley:
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Victorialou

• Not said much yet
Hi Rich & Hazel,

I got your email, thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, what days generally work better for you when needing your help?

Cheers,
V

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
I work nights, 4 on 4 off so am generally available all day from 10am (ish) onwards. Staying at Hazels until Wednesday so will be around Thursday onwards :smiley:

Offline Victorialou

• Not said much yet
I am flying back in 2 weeks so I'll contact you closer to that time to check on your schedule. Thanks again for the info.

:smiley:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
No worries.........speak to you soon. Anything I can do to keep a mk1 on the road is time well spent.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Out of curiosity, this car isn't stored at the top end of Manor Park Drive is it? White?

Maybe not, but will speak to you when you get back  :wink: