Author Topic: solid clipper!!!  (Read 1631 times)

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
solid clipper!!!
« on: 29 December 2010, 17:41 »
hi guys
im picking up my new mk1 clipper tomorrow (xmas present)!!
its off a mate who swapped it for his r5 turbo. the car has had thousands spent on it in the last 5 years!!!!
but i would really love to put a newer/bigger engine in it. But im not sure which is the best one to go for??? also is it a trickey job to do?
cheers sean :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: solid clipper!!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2010, 00:28 »
hi guys
im picking up my new mk1 clipper tomorrow (xmas present)!!
its off a mate who swapped it for his r5 turbo. the car has had thousands spent on it in the last 5 years!!!!
but i would really love to put a newer/bigger engine in it. But im not sure which is the best one to go for??? also is it a trickey job to do?
cheers sean :smiley:

Wow, nice present. Be good if you can get some pics up.

All depends on what engine it's already running, what you want to put in and how much you're willing to spend.

First obvious choice is a 16v lump from a mk2.  A popular choice these days is the 1.8 20vt from a mk4 but that requires a lot more work.

Shaun

Offline deanpompey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2010, 09:16 »
Chuck a valver in it. plenty of power for a cabby and an easy enough conversion to do.
personally id use a 9a bottom end with a worked kr head and kr cams.50mm inlet,  4 branch exhaust manifold ,stainless exhaust, should see you about 150-160bhp. big smiles :)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2011, 13:51 »
Good luck stopping it on those rear drums ! :grin: They were bad enough on a standard GTI engine. :laugh:
......now officially dubless.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2011, 14:03 »
Good luck stopping it on those rear drums ! :grin: They were bad enough on a standard GTI engine. :laugh:

Well thinking about it the drums aren't the main issue, if the fronts are standard they would defo need to go, mine is still an 8v and even my fronts had to be upgraded!