Author Topic: Post 6 year storage and pre MOT check on Cabriolet  (Read 8985 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Post 6 year storage and pre MOT check on Cabriolet
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2010, 12:51 »
Rack is fine and now refitted. Replaced the NS tie rod and OS rack boot. Thanks to Tony I have also replaced the steering column gaitor/boot :smiley: All greased up and hopefully good for another decade or two :smiley:

Whilst looking from underneath I have also noticed that the OS (cambelt end) engine mount appears to have perished so I better change that too.

Spent yesterday on the Mk4 with all the brakes in bits. That has its MOT next week and I'm hoping the Mk1 will follow straight after :cool:

The Polo then has its Summer Break............well that's the plan :cool:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2010, 13:39 »
Seems to be all sorts of different products out there for heat shield mat.
Which one did you get from Demon Tweeks?

Get it ready for Dubs at the Park, only down the road from you.

Nick

Not going to make that unfortunately. Got the steering rack in bits now :sad:
The gaitor covering the steering column exit from the bulkhead to the rack has become brittle and holed, probably due to its proximity with the exhaust downpipe. Anyone know where I can purchase a replacement? There is some play in the rack that is looking like the N/S tie rod that is still original! Once this is fixed it's ready for MOT :smiley:
got a spare one if u want it can post to you sir £12 including postage
or gpc or crazy do them
also when you do fit some heatshield mat around it

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2010, 16:30 »
iirc i got a sheet about 12x12" of mat that could withstand 600c looked abit like plumbers mat silver woven foil type thing was not more than £20

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2010, 22:11 »
yep thats similar altho from ebay im not sure how genuine it is  :undecided:

i got mine from demon tweeks and used thin garden type wire to secure it youll have to cut a bit of a u out of it to go up behind the boot next to bulkhead then wrap it and overlap it if that makes sense? as long as your happy it will do the job but you do want stuff that reflects heat away from the inside

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2010, 08:30 »
Cheers :smiley:
I've ordered that one from ebay, it 'looks' much the same and the feedback is good. Its got to better than nothing.

I also plan to change the exhaust downpipe. I currently have the 4 into 1 manifold with the 'C' clips and no heat shield further down near the steering gaitor.
The one I removed from the 'X' reg was a 4 into 2 where the downpipe bolts onto the manifold and it has a heat shield fitted.

I'll wait until after the MOT and then that will be one of the first jobs.

Thanks for your help. 

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2010, 10:33 »
Cheers :smiley:
I've ordered that one from ebay, it 'looks' much the same and the feedback is good. Its got to better than nothing.

I also plan to change the exhaust downpipe. I currently have the 4 into 1 manifold with the 'C' clips and no heat shield further down near the steering gaitor.
The one I removed from the 'X' reg was a 4 into 2 where the downpipe bolts onto the manifold and it has a heat shield fitted.

I'll wait until after the MOT and then that will be one of the first jobs.

Thanks for your help. 
Mines the same as you're x reg 4 into 2.  its so close to the rack.  will have to copy you with the steering rack boot and heat wrap.  how hard was it to service the rack?

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2010, 11:07 »
Hardest part was getting it out! I would imagine it is a damn site easier to remove without the engine and gearbox fitted.
I couldn't get it out through the side despite what the Haynes manual says. No matter what angle I tried it simply wouldn't go. I ended up passing the OS up towards the bonnet and then lowering out through the bottom NS first.
Funnily enough when refitting I did manage to pass it through the NS hole in the chassis. So, there obviously is a perfect angle to get in and out.
I'm now trying to remove the OS engine mount......that doesn't look to be as easy as I first though it might be :angry: Oh well back to it...........

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2010, 11:29 »
hmmmmm, sounds like a pain in the ass to me... is that boot a possible MOT fail if not done?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2010, 11:50 »
hmmmmm, sounds like a pain in the ass to me... is that boot a possible MOT fail if not done?

Nope.

nick