Author Topic: fusebox/overheating/temp gauge  (Read 6534 times)

Offline bully85

• I live here
Re: fusebox/overheating/temp gauge
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2010, 13:58 »
ok run the car with the fan briged and it stayd at just abit over half so got a new fan swich and run the car from cold with new swich fitted it took its time to get up 2 temp when it got to 3/4 guess what no fan!so i left it runing and it just got to the start of the max line and it kicked in for 20 secs wich made it cum down to 3/4 what should i try now other than a can of petrol! :evil:thanks for ya time and input jonny also the rad was hot and seemd ok
« Last Edit: 29 March 2010, 14:02 by bully85 »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2010, 15:05 »
ok since bridging the fan kept the temps down to where you want to see them, then it seems the issue is with coolant flow to the far end of the rad, or maybe you have a problem with the stat not opening enough or when it should.  does the car have an mfa oil temp you can check to ensure the engine really is getting as hot as the dash gauge seems to think?

have you replaced the pump yet? I wonder if the frozen coolant has damaged the stat somehow if not the pump...
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline bully85

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 29 March 2010, 15:09 »
no mfa new stat in one of them upgrade ones and i did test it b4 it went in and new water pump in and seems to run a nice flow of water back in to the tank?and stat seems to open when temp gets up to half way
« Last Edit: 29 March 2010, 15:10 by bully85 »

Offline bully85

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 29 March 2010, 16:41 »
right just got new rad and vw coolent how do i mix this 50/50?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #24 on: 30 March 2010, 11:23 »
what i do is tip a whole bottle of g12 into the header tank, then fill the empty bottle with water and tip that in. then get a 2nd bottle of g12, half fill the empty one, and top them both up. easy way to get 50/50 :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline bully85

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2010, 14:01 »
top tip

Offline bully85

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 01 April 2010, 17:53 »
update time with the new rad in the temp still gets up too 3/4 and above not too bad when drivein just over half but when not moveing goes up quik and fan is cumin on just befor max wich brings it down to 3/4 any ideas lads before i really do burn it!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #27 on: 01 April 2010, 22:04 »
does it smell hot when it says it hot??? any perfomance issues or anything?.... strange one this... the only time i experienced this was when the head gasket was going on an old cabby...  how old is the oil btw?

Offline bully85

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 01 April 2010, 22:20 »
h/g was done last year oil not very old i have noticed the water lookin a lil brownish and sum brownish lookin sand/rust looking sort of suff in the header tank?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #29 on: 01 April 2010, 22:27 »
i know you've just put fresh coolant in it already but if theres still signs of brown sandy water, you could do with sorting that out....  lots of flushing!!!.. especially if you have a new rad too...  that brown sh*t can mank up temp senders aswell. what are the condition of the hoses like inside, brown?