Author Topic: frozen locks/door handles.  (Read 1815 times)

Offline *tell*

• I live here
Re: frozen locks/door handles.
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2010, 20:27 »
hmmm not sure on pissing  :grin:.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2010, 20:31 »
De-icer? Central locking? If they fail you could always piss on them  :grin:

I have to meet you, you make me  :grin:!

:grin: Well hopefully i'll be able to venture down south for a show or 2 next year, if I do you can buy me a pint  :kiss:

How far south? bearing in mind it will take a boat trip for me just to get on the mainland!  :grin: :grin:

:grin: maybe not that far! It's over 200 miles south just to get to Birmingham  :shocked:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2010, 21:23 »
Every year for the past 4 years and on both mk3's ive had in that time every time it drops to near zero my bloody doors freeze solid and it's nearly always the friggin drivers door that gets it worst like this morning which was the only i couldn't open and i was already running late for work! grrrrrr!!!
The central locking is operating but it just seems the mechanism or door seals are sticking like glue until approximately 2 minutes away from my workshop after driving for 20 mins or so.
Im sick of climbing through boots, and rear door openings before making my journey in the morning...  :cry:

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2010, 21:25 »
Its all part of the fun mate! I love it!  :grin:

Its always been like that on every golf 3 that Ive owned. Last year I bought some door lock de-icer that fits in the key hole - it didnt even touch it on the worse mornings.  :laugh:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2010, 21:27 »
That's the thing, ive tried those winter lock lubricating kits and they don't do sh!t!

Offline tomScotland mk3GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2010, 01:51 »
Heat your key blade up with a lighter. Once its in the lock leave it for a minute or so before trying to unlock and it should be a-ok.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2010, 05:11 »
Heat your key blade up with a lighter. Once its in the lock leave it for a minute or so before trying to unlock and it should be a-ok.

I wouldn't do that as metal will become brittle eventually. Harder, but more brittle.

There are special key attachments that only cost a few quid that are run by batteries. It's a thin heating element, like a tooth pick, that slides into the lock and heats up, melting any ice.

Best thing to prevent the door and locks sticking though is keeping the rubber seals clean and oiled and spray inside the lock with some WD40.