Author Topic: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32  (Read 16288 times)

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
Re: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32
« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2007, 08:43 »

Think I will just quickly pop out for a drive to return something to somewhere far away for no apparent reason  :smug:

GTI and R32 both great cars but as has been mentioned simply in different ways. I had a GTTDI before and I knew it would double my fuel bill - it has but my word its worth it.  Since having my R I regularly just go out for a drive! Just to experience it. My Deep Blue Pearl R turns heads every day, just as ilyun said seems to get more attention in the blue. For me, every time I drive my R its like getting in it for the first time every time. I wanted a high spec build and buliding a GTI would have worked out more expensive than what I got my 6 month old fully loaded R32 for.

Main thing is I think its hard to campare the two side by side and then state which is better. Each to your own personal taste for either GTI or R32. If you dont know which one to choose get a good long test drive in both!
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Peskarik

« Reply #21 on: 29 October 2007, 09:49 »
What is this talk about GTI vs R32 anyway? It's been done to DEATH.

I'd take Nissan GT-R.  :kiss:

Offline Manu_R32

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2007, 10:03 »

Thats why ur driving around in an ED30 xD

OSIR Front Splitter - OSIR Rear Diffuser - RNS 510 - JL Audio Cleansweep - JL Audio 400/4 Amplifier - JL Audio ZR650 - Recaro Bucket Seats - 3.2 V6 of Pure Power!

Peskarik

« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2007, 13:58 »

Thats why ur driving around in an ED30 xD

Well, Nissan GT-R is not out till 2009. And my E30 has nothing to do with GT-R!  :smiley:

Offline Creepy Coupe

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 29 October 2007, 15:47 »
Yes this subject has been covered many times, and I suppose will continue to be, as long as the two cars appeal, for me their much harder cars to separate, and now I no longer own either I feel I can offer an unbiased opinion.

Firstly there’s much talk of the R32 being heavy and not handling so well, in fact I found it to be the opposite, at least when pushing hard, the R32 got more secure than the GTi at speed, and ALWAYS felt well planted, whereas my GTi used to cock a rear wheel under hard cornering and get a bit unsettled over rougher roads.

I think the sound of the two cars has been covered, so enough said, performance wise the GTi feel more lively, with a sudden rush around 2k RPM, where the R is much more linier and less strained, sometimes feeling slower, but it’s not until you look at the speedo, you realise how well it covers ground.

I managed to get a regurlar 30 MPG out of my R, compared to 33-34 form the GTi, so not so different, what you will notice is the fuel tank rage between fil-up’s the R could have done with another 5-8 litres of tank capacity, but consumption alone, there’s no getting away from the road tax hike, thanks to Gordon Brown.

My R had the manual gearbox, and for me this is where the problem lies, I have come to the conclusion that small 4wd cars with manual transmissions from VAG don’t work that well, having owned a TT225 and R32 both cars suffer from driveline shunt spoiling the overall enjoyment. I could never get a smooth gear change in the low gears, this made me tune into the problem, which resulted in every drive being a battle between me and the car. It’s quite possible the DSG would solve this issue, but I don’t know.

On the plus side the DPB paint on the R is just stunning, getting look’s of admiration every where I went.

My ultimate choice would be..

3 Door
DBP
GTi
R32 wheels
Manual
Leather
Xenon’s

Phil mcavity

« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2007, 15:56 »
i wonder if anyone has a spare R32 engine to put in mine before i sell her!!, would be a good combo :laugh:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2007, 16:05 »
Yes this subject has been covered many times, and I suppose will continue to be, as long as the two cars appeal, for me their much harder cars to separate, and now I no longer own either I feel I can offer an unbiased opinion.

Firstly there’s much talk of the R32 being heavy and not handling so well, in fact I found it to be the opposite, at least when pushing hard, the R32 got more secure than the GTi at speed, and ALWAYS felt well planted, whereas my GTi used to c*ck a rear wheel under hard cornering and get a bit unsettled over rougher roads.

I think the sound of the two cars has been covered, so enough said, performance wise the GTi feel more lively, with a sudden rush around 2k RPM, where the R is much more linier and less strained, sometimes feeling slower, but it’s not until you look at the speedo, you realise how well it covers ground.

I managed to get a regurlar 30 MPG out of my R, compared to 33-34 form the GTi, so not so different, what you will notice is the fuel tank rage between fil-up’s the R could have done with another 5-8 litres of tank capacity, but consumption alone, there’s no getting away from the road tax hike, thanks to Gordon Brown.

My R had the manual gearbox, and for me this is where the problem lies, I have come to the conclusion that small 4wd cars with manual transmissions from VAG don’t work that well, having owned a TT225 and R32 both cars suffer from driveline shunt spoiling the overall enjoyment. I could never get a smooth gear change in the low gears, this made me tune into the problem, which resulted in every drive being a battle between me and the car. It’s quite possible the DSG would solve this issue, but I don’t know.

On the plus side the DPB paint on the R is just stunning, getting look’s of admiration every where I went.

3 Door
DBP
GTi
R32 wheels
Manual
Leather
Xenon’s

Cant say mine has ever given me any trouble.. it just takes a little while to master!!

Offline Creepy Coupe

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2007, 17:08 »

Firstly there’s much talk of the R32 being heavy and not handling so well, in fact I found it to be the opposite, at least when pushing hard, the R32 got more secure than the GTi at speed, and ALWAYS felt well planted, whereas my GTi used to c*ck a rear wheel under hard cornering and get a bit unsettled over rougher roads.

3 Door
DBP
GTi
R32 wheels
Manual
Leather
Xenon’s

Cant say mine has ever given me any trouble.. it just takes a little while to master!!

I suppose we all have different expectations.

DannyBoyR32

« Reply #28 on: 29 October 2007, 17:33 »
how da hell you get 30mpg!!!

they're both good cars

i have the r32 as i wanted to own one sort of unique car/fast car

it is not much more expensive, insurance is actually cheaper for me believe it or not but the fuel bill is high

living in london it's a killer, £20 = about 80-90 miles especially coming from a 1.2 POLO  :evil:

most people would tell you to try both and see but ultimately you might want to consider what your aims are when buying the car?

saying that though i am thinking of getting shot of my car shortly, any ideas of what the next one should be?  :embarassed:

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 29 October 2007, 20:46 »

Yes, now that is a  :drool:
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)