Author Topic: swapped my euro corsa for a mk1 cabby! pics:  (Read 5792 times)

Offline brad88

• GTI forum regular
Re: swapped my euro corsa for a mk1 cabby! pics:
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2008, 22:37 »
ha ha cheers for replys people, the lights are getting changed as soon as engine is in etc, as for the corsa, it was fun while it lasted but ive always wanted a golf and vw is just a world away from vauxhall imo, thanks again, brad :D

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2008, 22:59 »
Hi

What engine are you fitting?  8v or 16v? 
8v, use a standard MK1 8V manifold and down pipes, the exhaust ports are the same.
16v You'll need a MK1 16v conversion manifold, expensive for what it is, but unless your handy with a welder, the way forward.

reason for the different maifolds in the MK2 has a partial subframe, the MK1 has no sub frame to get in the way, apart from the anti roll bar.

If you're going for big power, get a lower front brace, makes loads of differance.

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline brad88

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2008, 09:50 »
Hi

What engine are you fitting?  8v or 16v? 
8v, use a standard MK1 8V manifold and down pipes, the exhaust ports are the same.
16v You'll need a MK1 16v conversion manifold, expensive for what it is, but unless your handy with a welder, the way forward.

reason for the different maifolds in the MK2 has a partial subframe, the MK1 has no sub frame to get in the way, apart from the anti roll bar.

If you're going for big power, get a lower front brace, makes loads of differance.

kraM

going for the 16v conversion, i work in a garage with a top class welder so getting the original manifold modified wont be a problem but is it worth it in the long run?
thanks very much for the info its much appreciated, brad :D

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2008, 18:29 »
Hi
Depends how much power you're going for, if you're doing the head, cams & bottom end etc, buy the manifold, if not, weld one together.

I only went for a 4 branch on my 1600 8v cos I was chasing as many ponies as poss.  (it's quicker than a good 1.8 16v, good as in 164bhp)

kraM

Offline brad88

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2008, 22:04 »
at the minute im just trying to get it up and running, i know that somewhere down the line quite soon im gonna want more horses and start planning some upgrades so i think i will buy a conversion manifold ive heard the storm ones are good should i go for that?
plus how do ya get that many bhp from a 1.6 8v was it a lot of work?
cheers for the info its really appreciated, brad :D

Offline brad88

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2008, 22:39 »
no real update as of yet, not been going as quick as planned but no worries, i put a new clutch on engine other night and bolted gearbox to engine ready to go in, just waiting for the engine mount to be dropped off now and then the ball starts rolling again, should be done by end of month then the mods begin!!
cheers, brad  :grin:

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2008, 14:56 »
Un-related but...

Top end;

The 1600 head is flat, with no combustion chamber, a bit like a moden diesel.  I had the biggest valves I could get in there, multi angled seats, soild lifters, the valve stem guides removed from the inlet tracks, the inlet and exhaust tracks reworked, polished and ported and port matched to the manifolds, 4-1 magnex full system, sounds good, but too boomy on the motoryway.  The standard inlet manifold modifed to accept the big 20v 5cyl audi throttle butterflies, the 5th injector removed, and blanked off, along with the cold start valves etc, (as I moved the servo to infront of the driver) down side, it runs like a bag of sh1t until it's warm, 1800 injectors, 1600 metering head (higher flow rate) vw motorsport alloy air box, external cone filter.  The fuel pressure regulator was a 2.2 20v vacuum adjustable untit, but it made little difference to out right performance, but drank fuel like it was going out of fashion.

Bottom end;

Had the block surface ground, increasing compression with out ruining the combustion chamber shape.
New max oversize pistons, fully lightened and balanced bottom end, including the flywheel/clutch assembely & bottom pullys, re-ground crank and new shells.

Gearbox;

Orignal FM code close ration 5 speed box rebuilt by me, with a very short shift kit, which leads me on to a little problem... 

I have 4 bent exhaust valves and 4 marked pistons, after a break down in communications between my brain and left arm.  Max revs in 4th (7500rpm, may have been closer to 7750rpm) and slipped her into 3rd instead of 5th, the clutch was up for less than 1/2 a second, but the damage was done, I was very luck and still very pissed off, as that was June, and I still haven't got the time or funds to sort it  :cry: :cry:

But she will fly again, flat out is quite scary (obviously on an empty de-ristricted road in good weather etc etc...) and sound like it is going to blow apart, reving at just under 6750rpm, the shape of the car won't allow it to go any faster without a sh1t load more power...

kraM

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2008, 14:59 »
Mk1 Cab looks great, I like everything except for the rear lights. Some half and half ones (as already suggested) would look much better
 :cool:

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2008, 14:59 »
Nice cab mate love the colour!

Offline brad88

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2008, 19:28 »
thanks very much people, and kraM you have far too much money mate, that is a lot of work for one engine!! well done lol
brad :D