Author Topic: What do you use yours for?....  (Read 4387 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: What do you use yours for?....
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2008, 23:23 »
had 3  since february last year and wont be stopping anytime soon :P

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2008, 00:57 »
thanks for all the replies, thinking about getting one myself and just wondered if its practical to have one as a daily driver or am I best keeping my reliable MK4 and using a MK1 just for pleasure, thing is I dont have a driveway.....  :cry:
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2008, 13:46 »
Sold my cab last year, but I used mine as a daily for 4 years with very little problems. Put 40k on it and sold it with 132k on the clock. If I had a mk4 and a mk1 I'd use the mk4 as a daily and the mk1 as my toy. Personally, I think they are getting too old to use as daily drivers but perfect for a project/toy/weekends etc.
......now officially dubless.

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2008, 21:21 »
yea mate fair point, they are getting old.... think ill keep my mk4 anyways as it is so reliable (just jinxed myself now)
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2008, 16:18 »
Haha thats ace.  What engne you got in there?
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2008, 16:22 »
thanks for all the replies, thinking about getting one myself and just wondered if its practical to have one as a daily driver or am I best keeping my reliable MK4 and using a MK1 just for pleasure, thing is I dont have a driveway.....  :cry:

had my mk1 for two and a bit years, tried to use it as a daily, took it to france for a holiday but it all took its toll on the old gal, wasted a shed load of cash on that car, would buy one again unless someone had already spent a load on it first. If you have the time and money then they are great cars, they just look the sh!t! great for sunny weekends and shows but as a daily...... not really
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 04 April 2008, 16:27 »
what about with a 1.8T lump in it then rob? is the reliability the problem?
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #18 on: 04 April 2008, 16:46 »
Haha thats ace.  What engne you got in there?

2L 16v ‘abf’ Engine with flowed head and KR cams, modified air intake, 4 branch manifold with 2.5” Jetex Rally system, Baffled sump, Lightened Flywheel, 190bhp/155ft/lbs :evil:
Helix Clutch with HD pressure plate and sprung organic friction disc.

Close ratio box - 3.89 FD and Peraquin LSD diff with rose jointed linkage, quickshift and extended lever

Quaiffe quickrack 2.9 turns

Revised geometry - Ball joint spacers and rose jointed trackrods to allow addition lowering without affecting factory rollcentres

Avo Coilover adjustable suspension with a selection of spring rates and solid adjustable eccentric topmounts

Converted to studs front and rear for easier wheel changing.

Eibach Anti Roll bars

Front lower and rear upper Strut braces and polybushed throughout.

VR6/G60 front brakes (280’s) with race pads and braided hoses

6 point Rollcentre cage with Harness bar

Luke Harnesses (6 point driver, 4 point passenger)

Polycarb windows and fully stripped interior, inc sound deadening and sunroof removed.

Cobra Monaco seats, (drivers side adjustable)

Goes great and is a little harsh driveing to track days but worth it when you get there.

has fun with more expensive machinery as well.....just before he stacked it backwards into the tyres  :cry:

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #19 on: 04 April 2008, 17:45 »
well the old k-jet is an arse to work on and get set up, not many places really know how to do them these days! as for the 1.8t then yes that would be a good choice, at least you know you can get spares for the lump and that it hasnt been to the moon and back, but then you have to sort the brakes which are poor to say the least, then the body work, oh and get the fuel tank and filler changed, this caused me loads of trouble. They are pritty well built but tin worm can be a pain and its hard to get some panels. if you can pick up a pre-done up one i think its worth paying the extra cash, i think it would cost you less in the long run.  :smiley:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints