Author Topic: My Rivage  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Phil K

• Not said much yet
Re: My Rivage
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2007, 10:50 »
Bit gutted with the Riv at the moment... took it down to The Phirm to have them look at my oil leak... turns out the diff is buggered and I'm looking at a gearbox rebuild!  Goodbye £600-700 :(

Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't had to fork out £500 already this week on a pair tyres and service on the Leon... oh how I love my dubs!

So bread and water for a month or 2 and the Golf will be happy once again - that or I sell it now and cut my losses... hmmm, what to do?

Offline SpearMintTom

• GTI forum regular
  • DOB: 10/08/1986 - MK1 Golf: 14/02/1983!
« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2007, 11:28 »
Stop being such a pussy, Bread & Water all the way!!! - I'm a student with a mk1 so am used to it :P (or you could just get a bigger overdraft - this is what i've done everytime i need major cash!!!)  :laugh:
1983 1.6L 8v: S/S 4-2-1 branch, S/S CentreBox, M-u-f-f Diver exhaust, SPC, Wofsburg Dials + Blue LED Lights, Debadged & Smoothed, Porsche Green,

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2007, 13:30 »
Gutted for you Phil. :sad: I guess it's up to you, but if it was mine I would sort out the gearbox and see how it went, money permitting obviously. If you sold it as is you'd need to sell it cheaper anyway due to the work that needed doing on it, but it would be worth more anyway with the work done, so it's as broad as it is long to me.

In the four years I had mine i spent shed loads on it keeping it tip top, but because of the age of them things do inevitably go wrong.
......now officially dubless.

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2007, 17:33 »
i'm sure i was offered a cab gearbox the other day, im sure it was from diane's fella, or from my mate lee, let me know if it's not diane's fella, and i'll let oyu know a price and courier costs, mileage etc!

Don't give up!

Offline Phil K

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2007, 21:59 »
Cheers chaps :D

My dad has offered to 'loan' me the money to get it sorted as once it's done there shouldn't be all that much wrong with it... just the noisy fuel pump - but I figure thats probably a job I can do myself!

Planning to rebuild the box thats in there as tbh you don't really know what you're getting with second hand ones and with all the money spent on swapping them over etc I may well use what I have and make it bomb proof!  Do it right and only have to do it once is what I'm thinking!

I spent about £4K on the Corrado in the time I owned it and I never bought the Golf expecting it to be problem/bill free - guess I'd been hoping it would have been a bit longer before the bills came rolling in though!  :rolleyes:

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2007, 07:27 »
thi bills start the moment you drive it away!  :cry: :embarassed: thats what i found neway! LOL! but i love my cab!

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2007, 14:06 »
Phil, I bought a new recondition gearbox - 425.00 from http://golfmk1.co.uk (Richard Masters) - great services and great price for reconditioned gearbox. If you ping Richard on details, which I would as I've reviewed all the gearbox suppliers and Richard's services come out best for price and quality of work... say Simon - Black Cab advised you to speak to him. I provided my gearbox on a sunday and I got my gearbox back the following weekend.

Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Phil K

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2007, 18:14 »
Cheers Si! Will talk to the Phirm about this as an option and see if this would be a better/cheeper option than rebuilding mine and contact Richard during the week  :cool: