Author Topic: M.O.T Bad news or VERY bad news?  (Read 3471 times)

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
Re: M.O.T Bad news or VERY bad news?
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2006, 20:27 »
Thanks Phil, and yes I do usually have a silly smile on my face when I'm driving! Especially when people stop and stare! Its definately a head turner. Juat wish it had a stronger chassis! Thanks for comments though, greatly appreciated.

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #21 on: 06 February 2006, 18:36 »
Just got my car back!! But why does it always feel like a different car when you get it back after someone else has had it? There is a really loud rattling noise when idling. There was before it went in but now its even louder! Anyway he did me a really good deal on the labour as he'd my brother in laws uncle. £60 labour! not bad at all considering it took him a day to do the welding! £500 total so I suppose thats good but what the hell is the rattle?!!

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2006, 18:51 »
If it's coming from under the car and not the engine bay, it may be loose exhaust brackets. Easy to fix. Linked to this it could be a loose exhaust manifold heatshield - over time the bolts holding this on rust through and as a result it starts knocking. Awkward to get at the bolts but repairable never the less and not catastrophic.*

Or it may be baffles in your exhaust system - they break off and fly around inside the exhaust. Is it worse when running rather than idling?

*Don't quote me on that.

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2006, 18:58 »
Its definately coming from the engine bay. It has always rattled a bit when idling but now its really noticable and i can even hear it slightly when running too??

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #24 on: 06 February 2006, 19:00 »
Does it disappear when you depress the clutch? If so then its the clutch release bearing.

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #25 on: 06 February 2006, 19:04 »
I think I know what this is - if you can hear it inside the car at idle.... the fuel filter just behind the battery - sits in a clamp and this moves and rattles against the body work - I bet if you open the bonnet and pull it together the engine - the ratting will stop - this happens when the clamp get a little loss - just tighten it up....

Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #26 on: 06 February 2006, 19:36 »
Thanks ill try that. I hope thats all it is. The noise quietens when I accelerate as I slow down it gets louder and very loud when stood in traffic.

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #27 on: 06 February 2006, 20:24 »
Take your foot of the pedal might help!!!  :laugh:  :smug:
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Danr

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 13 February 2006, 19:56 »
Anyway he did me a really good deal on the labour as he'd my brother in laws uncle. £60 labour! not bad at all considering it took him a day to do the welding! £500 total so I suppose thats good

Thats not bad got my car today with a £1500 bill from dubsport  :cry:

Offline de3660

• Just got here
« Reply #29 on: 17 February 2006, 18:57 »
this is exactly what i fear for my next MOT, ive woken up thinking about this from a dream and it really annoys me.
I dont know if mine is too good either, only time will tell. Its my only car and i want to keep it as long as possible.