Author Topic: M.O.T Bad news or VERY bad news?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
M.O.T Bad news or VERY bad news?
« on: 02 February 2006, 17:43 »
My little baby went for its mot today and sadly failed. It wasn't anything small either. The garage told me he couldn't believe it was the same car when he looked underneath. He said I barley had a chassis!! He said ideally it needs a complete rebuild! But for now it will need welding plus a few other bits an bobs. Quoted £400 which I didn't think was that bad but that was an estimate. But now I am really worried that I have bought a car that looks mint but really isn't anywhere near! Have I been driving an unsafe car? I really don't want to get rid. I can't imagine life without my Aubs. So what I want to know is this...

How serious is this?
Anyone else had a similar problem?
Should I rebuild? and if so how much will this cost? and anyone know anywhere near Leeds who could do it?
Was my car a death trap?

Oh yeah and he said my car is covered in tar underneath so its a bonfire waiting to happen!! I've just had all my seats done!!!

Please someone make me feel better!!!

A very upset Gem.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Re: M.O.T Bad news or VERY bad news?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2006, 17:51 »
Without being able to see it then its going to be very hard to tell you good news. IT might be the case that the guy you took it too thought,

"old car, young girl driving it.. i can make a few bob here"

As shameful as it sounds it is possible. Then again saying that he could be spot on and there could be a lot of welding being required. It is more likely to be things like floorpans and seals and not major structures. As far as i am aware, mk1s are not known for needing a new chassis, but if that is the case then i would look for a new shell as a pose to forking out for it all to be repaired, (lets be honest how can a f**ked chassis be fixed?)

If i was you i would take it to a few garages to be looked at, as this bloke could just be trying to pull a fast one.

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2006, 18:07 »
I don't think he is as someone else I know looked underneath a while ago and told me it was squashed. Also its my brother in law's uncle who is doing the work so I don't think he is trying to pull a fast one. I got the feeling he was being honest but I might be too naive for my own good!!

Offline Bazzer

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2006, 18:24 »
ok then - how about getting some pics for us to look at then? That'll give you an idea of whether or not it's honest info you've been given...

Bazzer

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2006, 18:34 »
ok yeah ill try and get some pics

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2006, 19:18 »
Devastating, but lets face it most garages are full of ****, u get the odd decent few but some think that if the face fits they'll take advantage! Def get it checked out at other garages but dont tell them that there could be something wrong with the chassis. Its worth spending money on another mot just to be sure! It might be true it might not but otherwise you may have to spend £400, so get it double/triple checked!

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2006, 23:28 »
Need to see pictures to help out really....

I understand your in leeds, so your not too far from the TVRgolf man Joe - his an ACE Welder and knows all about CARS... might be worth popping your car over to him - PM TVRGolf to see if he can help.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2006, 23:32 by Madone »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline The Hoax

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2006, 01:05 »
Chassis welding is a piece of p!ss, not a terminal disease. I would much rather need a bit of chassis welding than bodywork as, with the chassis, you cut out rot, weld, and slap on some tar. With the body, you need a bit of finesse, such as welding, grinding, filling, rubbing, priming, rubbing, spraying, rubbing. lacquering, rubbing etc.

Give me a rotten chassis any day. The only problem is access, but if it is going in to a garage the will have a lift or a roller.

Hope this helps !

Offline golfpro

• I live here
  • If in doubt, pay someone else to do it!
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2006, 09:11 »
Thats good thinkin si, get on to joe to see if he can help. The guys is a genious and if he can build a monster like he did im sure he'l be able to ease your worries.

Whatever happens tho, even if you do need a new car, your seats will always come out of that one, the pannels will come off and you will be able to put them on the next mk1 you buy. Its not money wasted!

Really gutted for ya. hope it turns out ok

thats the best mk3 ive seen..ever! its just clean and subtle.. :cool:

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2006, 09:47 »
Thanks guys. Starting to feel a bit better now. I love my car little car