Author Topic: Buying advice?  (Read 4517 times)

Offline campaigner

• Not said much yet
Buying advice?
« on: 27 August 2010, 00:27 »
Hi,

I'm interested in buying a Mk1 Campaign, the guy seems to be very open with issues with the car, I just wanted peoples opinions on these issues really. Would a day with an auto electrician sort this car out?

So what's wrong, electrical issues really.

1. Reversing lights don't work.
2. Front fog lights dont work.
3. Windscreen washer doesn't work - Owner can hear a relay click, but no power gets to the connector. (Motor will work directly off battery, so must be wiring issue)
4. Rear wiper & washer dont work
5. Rear heated window doesn't work
6. Flashing oil pressure light in dash - Engine has good oil pressure, so must be electrical, according to current owner. He has changed both sensors, but still flashes.

Other issues
-Sunroof needs height adjusting as it scrapes very slightly when slid open
-small crack on outside of driver-side headlight glass

Apart from the above the car ticks all the boxes. I know nothing about the mechanics of these machines, so any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks.

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
Re: Buying advice?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2010, 09:55 »
electrical issues maybe be down to a wet fuse box, they can be picked up off ebay. lift the bonnet and have a look in the scuttle tray to see if its full of leaves and crap, this can block drainage holes causing water to leak on to back of fuse board. could also be the stalk switches on the column.

i would check oil pressure yourself and make sure dipstick is reading correctly [ my mates had slipped down and when draining sump found less than 1 litre of oil in engine  :shocked: ]

also check fuel filler neck for holes and excessive rust.
if the body is in good condition with no holes in sills and rear axle mounting points are ok then maybe worth a punt.

have a look here
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=41.0
just be aware that you need to be hands on with them or have very deep pockets

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2010, 11:08 »
As said, if you're quite hands on witg things like this then it sounds like a good car... if you have to pay someone to fix your leccy problems then yesm deep pockets required... mk1's electrics are quite straight forward once you get stuck in and for the bits that aren't ther's always heklp on here.. .thats how i ended up rewiring mine!?  :smiley:

Offline campaigner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2010, 11:37 »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure now to be honest, I've never done anything with electrics before and I also don't have deep pockets to get someone else to fix it.

I'll need to think on this. I think the current owner has been driving the car as is for the past few years with it's problems, I could just do the same!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2010, 12:11 »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure now to be honest, I've never done anything with electrics before and I also don't have deep pockets to get someone else to fix it.

I'll need to think on this. I think the current owner has been driving the car as is for the past few years with it's problems, I could just do the same!
You'd only want to do it for so long and would you really be happy driving it knowing it has issues with no intention to fix them?)....

If there is an ongoing problem that is the cause of these electricical problems like adamp fusebox like raferackstraw says then they could get worse???.....if the cars is totally solid and the price is right, dont be put off but if you have no clue whatsoever in how to put the car right or maintain it or afford to get someone else to do it then it might not be the car for you????

Offline campaigner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2010, 13:47 »
The car does seem very solid and original. I've had old VWs before, Beetles, didn't know anything about them either before I bought them but learned a lot while I had them. I'm not afraid to get stuck in, I just need basic step by step instructions!

I'll call into my auto electrician and see what he thinks. If he can give me a very rough idea of costs, at least then I'll be more informed of what I'm in for

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2010, 17:34 »
look mate if you had hands on wiv a beetle then the golf isnt that hard, just about most things can be done with a good tool kit. the electric issues are not bad, but you should get them sorted asap, otherwise they will get worse and may even cause a fire!

there is loads of help here just ask the question and usually they are answered within 24hrs or your pointed in the right direction.

whats your location? put it in your profile you may have help nearby.

how much is he asking? and do you think its worth it?

if you dont get this one bide your time and keep looking eventually the right one will come along

a budget of 2500-3000 will get you a good example

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2010, 22:59 »
Either windscreen washer has just broken or the previous owner knows the MOT man well, cos that is the only issue that I can see that would fail the MOT, but it would fail on that.

On the whole they do sound like fairly trivial issues though and most will be easy to fix. Some of them could just be blown fuses, or breaks in the wires. The lamps could be fuses or bulbs, so worth checking the bulbs too. If it ticks all the boxes and is the right price then you could always fix it over time.

It will also be worth checking out the mk1 org site as that's got some good info on there too. Link here --> http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
......now officially dubless.

Offline campaigner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2010, 23:35 »
Thanks for all the help on this. I'm in Dublin, Ireland, so I'd doubt many people on here live near me!

Just another question, if there has been a patch job on one of the sills, i.e. the rust has been cut out and new metal welded in, is this a bad sign? I'm told there is no rust anywhere else.

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2010, 00:32 »
no not really as long as its been done proper