Author Topic: 14" Wheel, tyres and coilovers choice  (Read 2593 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
14" Wheel, tyres and coilovers choice
« on: 28 April 2004, 21:48 »
So my old girls running well again, lazy front shock/spring doing my head in as she bottoms out very harsly and tyre rubs on the arch when takin a roundabout even at 25mph. Not really what the Mk1's all about is it?  So, Adam b looks at my pics and says my motors awesome (thanks adam) but to change those wheels and get some 14" deep dishes.  I would love too.  Hated them 3 spokes as soon as I saw the car.  I wanted it to be the first thing I changed.  Never works that way.  Whats the recomended wheel size, width etc with a bbs kit fitted?  Would love bbs splits but way too expensive? anything similar with the sameish effect? And how much are a decent set of coilovers and where from? lots of questions, but hey, i'm only trying to do the right thing for the car.  Thanks people.  ;)

Mk1, King of the B roads!http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=18227
« Last Edit: 30 April 2004, 01:04 by SoundillusioN »

Offline wag,en,volks

• I live here
  • I make wheels shiney ,pm for quotes
Re:14" Wheel and tyre choice
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2004, 22:21 »
Hi mate dont no if your interested but i have got a set of bbs 14" cross spokes et30 4x100 including spare all with centre caps (crap tyres) ?150  ???

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2004, 23:45 »
 8)Looking for some chome wide boys if poss but i'm still interested in yours too.  Think i know the ones u mean, any pics mate?

Mk1 GTI, KING OF THE B ROADS!

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2004, 08:00 »
I have a clipper kit on the sportline, and am running 14x9 on the rear and 14x8 on the front with stretched tyres. The rear ones do clip the arches under hard bottoming out, but I do have the car slammed to the floor, which probably adds to it.
For some good 14" rims I suggest giving Paul at Dubmeister http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/ a call - he is extremely helpful and will do his best to get you exactly what you need.
Ads
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2004, 01:01 »
How much are those FK's coilies for a mk1 these days then? had a look at a site with em on but no prices, did u get urs from dubmeister,  had a look at their site before but no range or prices on suspension stuff. do like some of the steffan wheels you can get there, afforadable too. If anybody knows any other retro wheel sites, please point them this way. (wide 14/15" chrome/silver) ???

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:14" Wheel, tyres and coilovers choice
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2004, 09:09 »
I initially ordered a seo of goldlines from Venom motorsport at ?390, but due to them making me wait a week or two longer than they said, I kicked up a fuss and got upgraded to a set of FK for free. They should be about ?470 normally.
Just check out any of the Golf magazines, there are companies in there that sell them, or try these guys
http://www.venommotorsport.com/index/index.html
http://www.styledynamix.co.uk/

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2004, 10:11 »
Thank you sir wealth of knowledge.  At work at the mo, but will hopefully get something sorted soon. I'll have a look later.

IM MY DREAMS:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=18227&pos=0
« Last Edit: 01 May 2004, 11:41 by SoundillusioN »

Offline richard ellison

• I live here
  • Mk1 Cab 'Gertrude'
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2004, 09:21 »
Im gonna be going for some Schmidt wheels eventually:

do you NEED your arches rolling for wide wheels???

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2004, 12:47 »
My arches have been rolled and occasionally the tyre clips the arch, so I think it is advisable.

Offline richard ellison

• I live here
  • Mk1 Cab 'Gertrude'
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2004, 16:00 »
I spoke to Paul before...

he reccommended Supersport coilovers for ?325 (not bad price)

and  Steffan RS wheels... dont think adam would be too pleased in me copying him... Didnt realise it was going to cost me ?1500 for a set of Schmidt wheels... eeek...