Author Topic: xenons..  (Read 2308 times)

Dinky

xenons..
« on: 26 January 2008, 22:00 »
1, Can anyone explain to me exactly what they are.. yes i know its a better light, but is it just a different bulb/headlight unit etc..
2, If you can get a conversation for the mk1?..
3, how much it would cost etc..
4, Obv you would have to upgrade the alternator, but would you need to do anything else?

TIA

Dinx :kiss:

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: xenons..
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2008, 00:57 »
1:

xenon or HIDs are basically a different type of bulb to halogen, instead of a piece of wire being heated inside a gas filled bulb, the electricity arcs between two points to create a light.

its a different bulb, different headlight unit as well as the auxiliary bits that go with it.

2:

doubt it, as you would need a suitable unit that would fit a mk1, and seen as xenons have only been around (for cars) since 91 the mk1 is probably too old.

3:

to retro fit a MK4 you're looking at around £1000, so assuming you could find a cluster about that.

4:

you would need, the bulbs, unit, a lamp cleaning system, and an auto levelling system (adjusts the angle based on weight in the car)

your best bet is to get some uprated bulbs for that xenon looks as i doubt you could do it legally on a MK1, unless you can convince hella to make a cluster for you  :laugh:

Dinky

« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2008, 17:38 »
Thanks very much for your input Ridge, much appreciated and all understood!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2008, 12:05 »
you can get HID kits for H4 headlamps off ebay, loads of sellers about.  What you need tho is a set that does both dim and main beams, as you don't have a quad light grille, so a bit more spensive.

The law on HIDs is a bit of a grey area, all those bits The_Ridge listed are required for new build cars by law, the current oppinion is that for old cars with a retrofitted system you dont need all that other gubbins, but it depends who you ask!  Whether or not the MOT man or the Police will be bothered about them as long as they are aimed properly is also another story, even if they are technically illegal.  I'vbe never heard anyone being pulled for having them, though that doesn't mean no-one ever has :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2008, 13:13 »
The law on HIDs is a bit of a grey area

its actually quite clear these days

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

I'vbe never heard anyone being pulled for having them, though that doesn't mean no-one ever has :grin:

its just on of those risks you take, the same way people drive with the german font plates, the other think to consider is how illegal lights would affect your insurance if you had an accident

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2008, 13:16 »
ah, not seen that link before.  tbh the kits are far too expensive for my liking, a decent set of bulbs, relayed lighting loom and good condition genuine hella headlamp units (most important bit really!) are more than enough for me.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2008, 15:44 »
ah, not seen that link before.

yeah the government don't exactly make it easy to find out information on whats legal and whats not, but they are happy enough to point it out when it means they can fine you.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2008, 15:50 »
yeah i bet! will save it for future reference :)

Dinky

« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2008, 18:29 »
ah, not seen that link before.  tbh the kits are far too expensive for my liking, a decent set of bulbs, relayed lighting loom and good condition genuine hella headlamp units (most important bit really!) are more than enough for me.
Tbh...probs the route Ill end up going down..
Just think the xenons look  :cool:

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2008, 02:17 »
Wait there, Xenons blind me! How can that be the way forward? I hate them because when Mr Xenon is behind me it casts a shadow over my car and i cant look behind without getting my Retinas burnt out. :angry: Come on Guys? I'm interested to be put right on this matter because i just dont know why they can be a good thing.
God sake please dont tell me that they increase you're visabilaty, of course they do! But at the expense of others...No? :lipsrsealed: