Author Topic: 16v engine  (Read 2089 times)

Offline felix

• Not said much yet
16v engine
« on: 14 February 2004, 18:06 »
I own a mk1 1.6 gti and want to have a mk2 1.816v fitted.
exactly how much work is involved and does anyone know where to get a decent engine. on the net they are asking ?1600 pounds?

old_boy

Re:16v engine
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2004, 18:15 »
You can buy a whole car with a documented service history and use that for donor parts and sell on what you dont use, this is the route i am taking and so far its cost me nothing!
That inludes the hire of the truck to pick it up and the conversion exhaust, it doesnt however include the carbs i want-still i am getting there!
The actual work involved is very straight forward in an injection car and having done this before, i can recommend it.
If you need any help with this or anymore questions, give me a shout. ;)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2004, 18:26 »
you swapping the cab to manual as well old boy?

can you use the mk2 8v gearbox with a g60 or mk3 16v engine?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

old_boy

« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2004, 18:43 »
You can use an 8v box on a G60, I think you can use a MK3 16v box for this but im not sure about the ratios, thats just too dammed techie for me! :D
I have swapped to manual using the box and driveshafts from the 16v, I now have to use both feet!
« Last Edit: 14 February 2004, 18:45 by old_boy »

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2004, 18:03 »
Dont do it, tune you engine to beat it, mine does....  hahahahahahaha Beats girl driven VR6's too..... ;D
Race ya...

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2004, 18:09 »
You can use an 8v box on a G60, I think you can use a MK3 16v box for this but im not sure about the ratios, thats just too dammed techie for me! :D
I have swapped to manual using the box and driveshafts from the 16v, I now have to use both feet!

How have you got the mk2 driveshafts to fit? When I fitted my mk2 box I was hoping to use the mk2 driveshafts but I found they were longer so ended up fitting the mk1 shafts and swapping the flanges over on the gearbox.

old_boy

« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2004, 19:38 »
Straight forward bolt on job-no messin,
was yours from a 16v?

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2004, 13:57 »
No my driveshafts were off a mk2 8V, however they were definately longer than the mk1 driveshafts :-\

Would have thought the 8v and 16v mk2's would have had similar driveshafts and therefore both would be longer than the mk1 driveshafts.

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2006, 22:50 »
No my driveshafts were off a mk2 8V, however they were definately longer than the mk1 driveshafts :-\

Would have thought the 8v and 16v mk2's would have had similar driveshafts and therefore both would be longer than the mk1 driveshafts.

did you get the answer to this  :huh: im worrying about all this stuff at the moment for my conversion

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo