Author Topic: condinsation in lights  (Read 722 times)

Offline rugbymad

• Not said much yet
condinsation in lights
« on: 13 September 2008, 15:45 »
hey folks.   only had the 48hrs and noticing things wrong..   it's been raining today and was out to asda with wife  on the way back i noticed condinsation in both my front lights.. is this normal for a golf anybody else had this prob... will be straight to dealers on monday..
GT sport tdi

Offline clive

• GTI forum regular
Re: condinsation in lights
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2008, 15:47 »
I had a small amount in mine after some heavy rain, both front & back lights :sad:  Was gone the next day though so didn't bother me that much.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: condinsation in lights
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2008, 15:56 »
If it has been pi$$ing it down, then condensation is common.

However, you need to be slightly particular on how you are defining condenstion with the headlamps.  If it is similar to the "fog" you get when breathing on a cold mirror, then this is perfectly OK, and will be rejected for any warranty claim.  But if you can visibly see individual water droplets - say about 2-3mm in diameter, then this is cause for warranty - but you will have to be "pushy" when trying to claim.

An "industry" guideline for checking headlamp misting - on a dry day, with a stationary car, turn on the headlamps and leave them for 10-15 minutes.  The "fog" should clear (or been seen to be reducing), but if there is no change, or if water droplets still remain, then that is grounds for a valid warranty claim.  Unfortunatly, some VW stealers try to deny knowing about this, even though there is a very clear TSB from Volkswagen AG confirming this very test!  :rolleyes:  :angry:

HTH
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo