Author Topic: A Good Clean Today PIC HEAVY  (Read 4684 times)

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
A Good Clean Today PIC HEAVY
« on: 12 March 2011, 19:23 »
So I finally got round to cleaning the MK4 today, she passed the MOT on Thursday with no advisory's and Dan @ the Shack is having her on Monday to do the service   

So. I thought I'd share with you how I clean the car, please bare in mind that I am in NO WAY a pro at this, nor do I pretend to be, but over the past 3yrs, I pretty much taught myself how to get a decent long lasting shine out of the poorest paintwork.

Those of you on here who do know what your're talking about, any advice on where I may be going wrong would be greatly appreciated   

So, 1st up was washing the old girl with MEGS soft wash and a MIT (2 bucket method)

Once that was done, and while the car was still wet, I gave her a good claying all over   

Then rinsed off and dried with a Micro Fibre Towel. Then started to tape off all the 'Black' bits

Once this was done, it was time to get the machine out and some cutting compound. I use a mixture of 2 compounds, seems to get a really good result, I put the 3M directly onto the body work, and then put some Menzerna onto a Blue Sponge.

That is worked all over the body work on every panel, I do you a spray bottle to 'mist' water on every now and again so it doesn't get to hot   

Ok, after each panel, I use a Micro Fibre cloth to buff off the excess, which does give a reasonable shine, but you can see that the paintwork has a definite 'clean feel' to it.

Next up is the Polish, again, I use 2 types, but not at the same time!! 1st up is the 3M which is put onto a Pink Sponge and worked all over the car (about 2 sq ft at a time) and then buffed off again

Then I go over everything with MEGS mirror glaze 7 using a Black Sponge , using the same principal as before and getting some really good results. 

Next up is the WAX, here I use 4 different types............All these are applied with a sponge applicator, 1st up is a bit unusual, but I think its great stuff, MEGS 8 mould release for yachts...

This is applied to the whole car, and again, buffed up by hand. Then I apply MEGS Tech Wax NXT 2.0 to the side panels and rear of the car, then DODO JUICE Blue Velvet to the roof and DODO JUICE Purple Haze to the bonnet, then the whole car is buffed using a WHITE Sponge

OK, so next it was time to clean the wheels and tyres, for this, I used a combination of MEGS Tyre Gel and Turtle Wax wet n black this seems to give a long lasting shine to the tyres.

Then I cleaned the alloys, firstly with BILBERRY JUICE (love the smell of this stuff)

hen with MEGS Metal Polish

Next up was the Black bits n bobs, for this I use MEGS trim detailer

And the results...........

A quick hoover and clean inside

AND MY BITS FOR THE SERVICE

I haven't cleaned the engine bay due to the service on Monday, and I seem to have 'lost' my MEGS window cleaner!! :embarassed:

As for the plans for the car, the front and rear 'VW' badges are going to be sprayed MAT BLACK.
The GTI badge & Golf badge on the boot are to be replaced with a single badge in MAT black saying MK1V.
The GTI Grill badge is going. The Wing Mirrors are to become MAT black, and possibly a bonnet bra

What do you think????

As I said before, all criticism welcome   

Toby

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: A Good Clean Today PIC HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2011, 19:29 »
still dont understand why you use 4 different waxs ??

that interior stuff is sh!te..

but the car looks sweet once cleaned  :smiley: :smiley:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2011, 19:42 »
good effort Toby,

looks like you've been getting alot of sling off from your rotory, keep your speeds down when your spreading the polish, and the polish needs to go on the pad not the whole roof lol. plus use less polish and that will keep the amount of dust your getting to a minimum

looks good though mate.

for me bonnet bra's are ugly and scratch your paint/clearcoat, bra's are for ladys not cars.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2011, 19:47 »
Not a bad result mate, seems like your making a bit more work for yourself with 4 different waxes though and please tell me your not using metal polish on your wheels?? :shocked:
« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 19:53 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2011, 19:48 »
still dont understand why you use 4 different waxs ??

that interior stuff is sh!te..

but the car looks sweet once cleaned  :smiley: :smiley:

I use the 4 waxes because basically, I have them, if I'm honest, I love the DODO gear sooo much, but its rather expensive for me, so I like to keep it for the bonnet/roof.

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2011, 19:50 »
good effort Toby,

looks like you've been getting alot of sling off from your rotory, keep your speeds down when your spreading the polish, and the polish needs to go on the pad not the whole roof lol. plus use less polish and that will keep the amount of dust your getting to a minimum

looks good though mate.

for me bonnet bra's are ugly and scratch your paint/clearcoat, bra's are for ladys not cars.

Thanks for the advice mate, yes, I get covered in the stuff, will give it a go next time on a lower speed, thanks

Toby

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2011, 19:51 »
if you are applying the dodo waxes thin enough you should see atleast 5/6 layers out of one panel pot.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2011, 19:52 »
please tell me your not using metal polish on your wheels??

Yes, Its Megs Alloy Wheel polish, never used it before, and to be fair, its brought them nice n shiney, although the pics dont do it justice!!

Why, is there something I don't know with regard to wheel polish??

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2011, 19:56 »
please tell me your not using metal polish on your wheels??

Yes, Its Megs Alloy Wheel polish, never used it before, and to be fair, its brought them nice n shiney, although the pics dont do it justice!!

Why, is there something I don't know with regard to wheel polish??
Correct me if i'm wrong mate, but it's metal polish not alloy wheel polish, it's for bare metals like chrome tailpipes etc not painted/laquered surfaces, i think you'd be better with one of your other compounds on a pad.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2011, 20:10 »
Ah, I see what you mean................ :shocked:

Still, it gives a bloody good shine though, I don't suppose it will matter too much, as I'm hoping to get some BBS rims eventually, and then paint these black and keep them for winter wheels  :wink:

Thanks for the input mate  :wink:

Toby