Author Topic: What's your favourite wax/sealant for beading?  (Read 16142 times)

Offline Dean0991

• Not said much yet
What's your favourite wax/sealant for beading?
« on: 20 June 2015, 07:30 »
What everyone's favourite wax/sealant for the ultimate water beefing. I've just finished detailing my mk2 golf as the person before me didn't care about how she was cleaned. So she's now swirl free with guardX applied for extra paint protection and today I'll be layering her up with Meg's carnauba wax :) 
« Last Edit: 20 June 2015, 12:00 by Booth11 »

Offline KyleB

• I live here
Re: What's your favourite wax/sealant for beading?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2015, 12:52 »
For class beading look no further than hydro2. Spray it on, pressure wash it off. Enjoy 3 months of superb beading.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2015, 16:51 »
Not tried the Meg's Carnauba or Hydro2 yet, but might give them a go at some point. 

At the moment I still like DoDo Juice Blue Velvet Pro.  Maybe not the 'ultimate' water beading but pleasing enough and also gives great depth of gloss on a black car. 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Dean0991

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2015, 20:03 »
Looks good. I love carnauba wax for that wet look deep shine. For extra protection I apply a synthetic sealant then carnauba wax over that so you have the best of both worlds 😄 

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2015, 21:05 »
Applied Gtechniq G5 water repellent glass coating to both the cars today, it was hard work to buff off but I did a test spray and the beading and run off was amazing! I'll try and get picks when it rains tomorrow.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2015, 21:11 »
Looks good. I love carnauba wax for that wet look deep shine. For extra protection I apply a synthetic sealant then carnauba wax over that so you have the best of both worlds 😄 

Agreed.   I often wax over synthetic sealant (usually Poorboys) for the same reasons as you.  Used on its own, I find sealant can give a quite sterile shine, so topping it off with a wax with decent carnauba content adds that missing gloss and depth, which for me is essential on a darker car.

The DJ BV Pro is a hybrid wax combining carnauba and synthetic sealant so it has both reasonable durability and longevity but still delivers a really deep glossy shine.  It's not up to the 6 months plus level of protection but it's good for a few months, before another application is required.

I did try Auto Finesse Desire wax a while ago and the beading was ok, but the protection lasted little more than 6 weeks which was disappointing given the high-ish price tag.  A while back on here I did a comparison test of it versus the DJ and it was no contest.  Also like Collinite 915 for beading.  Not impressed with Poorboys Nattys waxes though, on beading or finish.

What colour is your mk2 Dean?

« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 21:14 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2015, 21:12 »
Applied Gtechniq G5 water repellent glass coating to both the cars today, it was hard work to buff off but I did a test spray and the beading and run off was amazing! I'll try and get picks when it rains tomorrow.

Yeah, definitely like to see pics of it Neil  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Dean0991

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2015, 21:27 »
I've not used any poor boys stuff tbh. My mk2 is oak green looks great after the detail as it was pretty heavily swirled. Gtech I hear is really good stuff and long lasting protection

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2015, 21:59 »
I've not used any poor boys stuff tbh. My mk2 is oak green looks great after the detail as it was pretty heavily swirled. Gtech I hear is really good stuff and long lasting protection

I like Poorboys sealants and polishing compounds, but not keen on their waxes.  DoDo Juice and Collinite waxes are much better imo.  Gtechniq sealants always seems to get rave reviews, especially C2V3. Must try it one day soon, maybe on my next car.

Got any pics of your Mk2 since detailing it? Be nice to see it.

Neil, probably a stupid question, did you use the G5 on the front windscreens?  I usually steer clear of using anything on the front glass to avoid wiper judder, squeaking etc.  if you did, I'd be interested to hear how it fares with the wipers, any issues etc  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 22:05 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2015, 05:52 »
Morning

Funny you mentioned that because I'm normally the same so I've doe. The whole glass on my car and then left bets windscreen to see the difference, looks like I'll be able to report back later as its raining here!